Best scuba destination for Xmas: Raja Ampat or The Philippines?

Where should I scuba this Christmas?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You survived Komodo current, so should be able to handle Raja Ampat current as well.

Xmas trip to Raja Ampat is very good timing. I did it in 2015. Already booked for another one for next year since this year Xmas I’ll be in Socorro.

Hopefully you get the 1 spot left in Samambaia.

Have fun!

I got the 1 spot on Samambaia!

Am I nuts for paying so much money?

$408/day is reasonable. I paid $448/day with the Blue Manta, but I was able to cut the cost to $373/day by rounding up my dive buddies as we can get 1 free of charge (FOC) spot for 5 paying spots, so all of us just paying 5/6 of the cost by splitting the FOC equally amongst 6 of us.

So plan ahead next time to get a better deal.

Last edited:
I got the 1 spot on Samambaia!

Am I nuts for paying so much money?

It's all relative...I think you'll come back saying it was all worth it. :) Congrats, I think the Samambaia is a great boat. I would have considered going to Raja Ampat again with that boat instead if the dates lined up better for me. Have a great time and be sure to tell us how you like it!

Last edited:
The short answer is go to Raja Ampat - the diving in Indonesia far better than the Philippines. The Ambai is a nice boat with experienced dive guides and a friendly french vibe. I wonder if there is room on the Raja Manta or Blue Manta. Full disclosure, I used to work on White Manta.

Raja Manta & Blue Manta are full. That’s the reason I mentioned Samambaia.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom