Best regulator for tech and cave diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's much more like refusing to drive a Honda but lauding Acura as the greatest ever. Same thing, different prices. I've worked on all of them and never seen more of one than another.

---------- Post added March 2nd, 2015 at 09:09 AM ----------

Another topic to mention when picking regs is environmental sealing. Piston regs can't practically be sealed. The ones that are are packed with $50 worth of lube. Diaphragm regs require no such packing and are very easy to environmentally seal. Sealed regs are all I'll dive.

Sorry, not true. Sherwood has a sealed piston with no water ingress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was unaware APEKS ever sold service kits openly. Regardless, finding kits is not too difficult, well I've never found it so.

Out of curiosity what about HOG have you found to be inferior?

A diver that frequently dives at the same site with me, uses HOG year around and complains that the rotating turret is not made to as high standards. When his HOG first stage happened to become submerged (unpressurized) it leaked and let water in, while the Apeks DST hasn't done this. The turret does not feel as firm as the one in Apeks. I would be happy to hear of other peoples experiences as the HOG ideology is nice.

This is something that some divers have reported. I have never had one of mine do this. To be fair I use a procedure with all stage regs, regardless of brand to avoid it happening. I normally recommended for use in stages that will be left unpressurized the D2.

Sorry, not true. Sherwood has a sealed piston with no water ingress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The leaky one?

---------- Post added March 4th, 2015 at 09:15 AM ----------

A diver that frequently dives at the same site with me, uses HOG year around and complains that the rotating turret is not made to as high standards. When his HOG first stage happened to become submerged (unpressurized) it leaked and let water in, while the Apeks DST hasn't done this. The turret does not feel as firm as the one in Apeks. I would be happy to hear of other peoples experiences as the HOG ideology is nice.

I've got a set of Hogs with ~100 dives on them. Been in cave, ocean, river/lake, pool, fresh, ocean, and to 130ft...but almost all ~100ft freshwater caves. They've done great. A buddy went ice diving with his and had zero issues. My instructor has an obsene amount of huge dives on his with zero issues. They're made in the same plant as Dive Rite and Hollis, and the quality is certainly not lacking.

Might be a bad sample then. Besides, regulators should be pressurized in water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom