Best Primary Light for Under $500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have two of the Impact lights from Dive Right in Scuba. They use C batteries, and come in 2 cell and 3 cell lengths (I have the 3 cells). They are really solid, and people comment to me how bright they are - 1000 lumens. I will eventually get a proper DIR canister light, but these are great and are the perfect backup when I go to a canister.

I bought an extra video head (wide angle), so I carry one spot, one wide angle. Just don't do your first try at using cave line to tie it to the bolt snap, like I did, and come back from a dive with a empty boltsnap dangling from your chest D ring. haha.

If you're looking for something smaller - but still something you can call a primary - check out the CF or AL900 from Big Blue. Very robust, 900 lumens, different power level settings. One model is focus able, one is fixed beam. Both are awesome. I use it as a backup, but that's because I have a can light primary. Definitely robust enough to be a primary - but get the adjustable beam so you can pinpoint or see a wide swath.

Pistol grips suck. Bulky and when not in use just a pain. Go for a small handheld torch like the big blue or so etching similar. You'll be much happier.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stuff it! If you want functionality, get a corded canister. Can't be beaten for balance and versatility.

Hog Morph Backup Light - Dive Right in Scuba

Just get one of those with the video head and neoprene sock. Video head will be broad enough to not blind anything, and not too powerful for back scatter as long as the vis is good. Has a few different light settings so you can back off the power if you want. Uses standard rechargeable batteries that are pretty cheap. Get a second battery, that way you can just swap it back over if you do a second dive. No need to get anything more than that.

Only an 8 degree beam width. I find narrow beam lights to be pretty useless in night diving. You miss so much when you have such a tiny spot illuminated. I wouldn't use anything less than a 60 degree.

I have had this Beauchat light for the past few years and am quite happy with it. 5-LED DIVE LIGHT 5-LED DIVE LIGHT Beuchat. It cost me around £300 back then which gets close to the OP's $500 limit but lights are more expensive in the UK than in the USA.

The one thing about this light is that it works much better with non-rechargeable batteries. If using rechargeables, one needs to slightly tweak the freshly loaded batteries to ensure proper contact before closing the torch. And the O-rings can be unforgiving if not properly lubricated.

But it gives out a good 1000 lumen LED white light with excellent penetration abilities.

Hog Morph back up is awesome..i use the video head version and like it for gopro.

I live my BigBlue AL900NP for my primary. For $150 its got great performance and rechargeable. I also have a 350 BigBlue that came with a glove for my backup, and I use the glove for the 900 on every dive.

I live my BigBlue AL900NP for my primary. For $150 its got great performance and rechargeable. I also have a 350 BigBlue that came with a glove for my backup, and I use the glove for the 900 on every dive.

My dive buddy uses the exact same two lights - he won't switch to a can, no matter how much I tell him cans have way more power. But he dives Florida, rarely at night, and it's more than enough for him to peek into holes and under ledges.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm planning for a can maybe next year. I kinda want to build my own, but for my night dives and murky water that I dive its been a great light!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom