Best Primary Light for Under $500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For night diving, the most useful feature on any light is a dimmer switch. You often don't need or want a ton of lumens at night, it will kill your night vision if you want to see bioluminescence, etc. A dimmer lets you choose.

What about lights with soft goodman handles? Are there generic sized handles that will fit any light?

I've been eying the UTD K2 LED backup light, since I can buy it here instead of paying for international shipping/customs, and it's only $70. Anyone used this light?

A guy just posted a dive rite 10w for $350...not a horrible price, really good light.

What about lights with soft goodman handles? Are there generic sized handles that will fit any light?

I've been eying the UTD K2 LED backup light, since I can buy it here instead of paying for international shipping/customs, and it's only $70. Anyone used this light?

K2 is an older model, that's why it's so affordable, but UTD now has better offerings in their VIZ system.

I have been using a UTD VIZ20 (with hard Goodman handle) as my primary light for a year and a half now. I like it a lot. It has a dimmer which makes it great for night dives, as I mentioned above, and is bright enough for daytime use/signalling as well. It's the light you see in my avatar photo on the left.

http://utdequipment.com/product_info.php?cPath=80_95&products_id=338

The UTD VIZ10 lights are nice backups, but are not as bright as VIZ20, nor as versatile. They are not dimmable. They do, however, have the same body diameter as VIZ20, so you can use them in the same Goodman handle.

http://utdequipment.com/product_info.php?cPath=80_95&products_id=173

I have two of these stowed on my harness as backups to my VIZ20. They are probably a rough equivalent to the older K2 you mention, but more compact for the same amount of light. So far I have been very happy with the combination of these three lights, plus the hard Goodman. The VIZ20 has its own rechargeable batteries and charger, VIZ10 uses 3xAAA.

The combination of one VIZ20 and two VIZ10 will meet the gear requirements of most tech/overhead/wreck/cave courses, no canister needed. And the entire system would be roughly within your $500 budget, too.

Now the UTD VIZ 35/50 system is also really great, but lacks a sliding dimmer like the VIZ20: it only has a hi/low switch. It also needs its own dedicated Goodman because of the large barrel size. I may eventually go this route, mostly because of the ability to run multiple light heads (primary and/or video light ... and/or drysuit heater) off the same battery canister. You can also screw a battery back onto any of the heads and use them standalone.

I don't see on the UTD VIZ 20 page where it mentions having a dimmer? Is that the "reflector?"

I am learning towards the UTD lights, because of the handle options, the default bolt snaps...and well, all my gear is red and black, so it'll match :wink:

A guy just posted a dive rite 10w for $350...not a horrible price, really good light.
I picked up a DR 10w HID for $250 a while back. I love it...you can get some really good deals on used can lights, if you look around.

I don't see on the UTD VIZ 20 page where it mentions having a dimmer? Is that the "reflector?"

The switch is described as "No switch that penetrate, Magnetic sliding to turn on which is less likely to flood". So the copy doesn't play up this feature as much as it probably should. Again, it makes this light great for night diving.

The switch is a slider that turns the light on at around 20% brightness, and is adjustable smoothly all the way up to full brightness (which is pretty darn bright).

The only downside of the light's construction is that it will drain the batteries over time if you leave them in. I'm not sure exactly why this is -- it may be a drawback of having a sliding dimmer switch -- but the solution is easy: store the batteries in the charger.

Okay, thanks for the info. I have to say the UTD site needs some work...the amount of typos, and the lackluster descriptions make it look like a Google translate job from some Chinese shop. Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't buy a reg from a company that spells it "regualtor" :wink:

Is the battery compartment flooding really the only concern for lights breaking? Since the shipping costs for repairs would cost me almost as much as a new light, hoping the light won't break so long as I make sure the o rings are alright.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom