best places to eat in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Las Tortugas on 30 and 19 is great, part of the Casa Denis family so many of the same menu items in a much more local setting.

Los Seras is great tacos, as is El Pique, both on 30.

Los Garinones on Xel-ha I believe, (whatever 11 would be if it had a number not a name) between 45 and 50 (right across the street from the sports park) is AWESOME.

kari

Any locals backyard!!!

Speaking of which, I forget the name of that place on 5th across from Villa Las Anclas where you eat in the back yard. It's pretty good for lunch. Tres Gatitos is one of our standard "eat there once a week" places in Coz. And we like Los Seras on 30th if we decide to walk in the other direction. And San Carlos Pescadario up on 50bis, again for lunch if you like great fish. There's a place we do like to eat - not authentic Mexican - which is on the waterfront. Again, I forget the name, but it is just south of Margaritaville. The sunset view is spectacular, they have a 2 for 1 cocktail hour, and make a pretty good thin crust pizza. We've eaten there many times.

Los Garinones on Xel-ha I believe, (whatever 11 would be if it had a number not a name) between 45 and 50 (right across the street from the sports park) is AWESOME.

kari

I've gone past that many times with Liliana on our way to get shavings for the stable and noticed it. Must try it when we are back on the island this winter.

There's a place we do like to eat - not authentic Mexican - which is on the waterfront. Again, I forget the name, but it is just south of Margaritaville. The sunset view is spectacular, they have a 2 for 1 cocktail hour, and make a pretty good thin crust pizza. We've eaten there many times.

Rolandi's? underneath where 1.5 used to be... great outside deck with couch-like seating... awesome spot for some appys and a bottle of wine as the sun goes down. There? We should go there, Marg!

Rolandi's? underneath where 1.5 used to be... great outside deck with couch-like seating... awesome spot for some appys and a bottle of wine as the sun goes down. There? We should go there, Marg!

Yep, that's the name and place! For sure, let's go there. I'll be back on the island the first week of January and staying until April.

We last ate there during Carnival. They moved a table out to the front for us to watch the parade and eat and drink with a perfect view. Deb came by and took our photo too!

The house on Ave, 5, between Calle 3 & Calle 5 (South of the Square) where you eat in the back yard is Sabores - it is only open for lunch, and the food and service and value are all outstanding. I've gone back there every trip for the last three years for at least one lunch. I've heard that the Chicken Mole is outstanding, and I just love the Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde - best Salsa Verde I've found.

As to other recommendations, I would NOT rely on Trip Advisor - its recommendations can be "played" by jealous competitors. One of my all time favorite meals in Cozumel was last July at Danube - I wrote up a very good review, and there were many others, but sometime in August, somebody reported that the good reviews on Danube were "suspicious" (I don't know what is suspicious about a lot of very good reviews when the food, service & ambiance were all outstanding), so all good reviews were just expunged, and Danube was dropped to dead last on TA's list. The lost business caused Danube to cut out the Dinner service - it's now only open for lunch. Damn Trip Advisor to Hell!!!!

As for reliable recommendations, check out the Cozumel my Cozumel website, both the dining recommendations and the Food discussion threads. Some of my very favorites are Danube, Casa Mission, Pancho's Backyard, Sabores (for lunch), Rolandi's (I love its Pasta Puttanesco, almost as good as mine, but they use ripe olives instead of kalamata olives, canned anchovies instead of the real good ones, and they go to light on the red pepper flakes; but it's still very tasty), and Casa Denis. I haven't yet tried it, but Del Sur has some outstanding reviews, and it's on my list to try when I come down in December.

Here are some of my personal favorites.

FOR BREAKFAST :
• Try to have breakfast at least once at the Museum. Amazing ocean view and good dishes. Ask for the Spanish menu, as it has more options. My favorite there is huevos venenosos, an omelet with different herbs and chaya, aka the Mexican spinach.

• Molinas (inside the Municipal market)
Huaraches and other antojitos offered with many different fillings for a few pesos. Wash them down with a soft drink like many locals do. Or buy fresh squeezed juice from the fruit stands.

• Zermatt (Avenida 5, between Calle 2 y 4)
Great bakery with a cute little terrasse. The chocolate croissants are not typically Mexican (but good). For local flavors, try to score a tuna empanada (they sell fast).

• If you walk in town in the morning along Avenida 10 between calle 9 and 5, you'll see signs for empanadas. Locals make them at the order. They are usually greasy but oh so tasty. There's also a place that's reknowned for them on Avenida 30, haven't tried it yet.

• The Coffee Cozumel (aka the Coffee Bean, Calle 3 between Melgar and Avenida 5)
Great coffee and expresso, huge pieces of cake… and one of the places where you can buy some awesome chocolate made on the island (see below).

FOR LUNCH :
• Sabores (Avenida 5 approx between Calle 1 & 5)
Chips + salsa + soup + choice of special of the day served with rice and beans + a big jug of agua de jamaica for 60 pesos, homemade and served in a private home (either inside or in the nice garden).

• La Gitana (Avenida 65 around Calle 9)
Tiny cantina which serves awesome free botanas with drinks. Had some delicious bites there, including jugo de caracol (conch broth), a wonderful fish soup and many types of "exotic" (for me) tacos (grilled stomach lining and so forth)… Super tasty and not touristy at all. Sit at the bar if you can to ensure you try everything.

• Roberto's (Avenida 65, across the street from La Gitana)
Probably the cheapest lunch menu on the island, starting at 35 pesos. Only about 3 choices per day, served with soup and a drink. Homey unpretentious dishes such as picadillo. The owner, Roberto, is the cousin of Ray from El Moro.

• Pescaderia San Carlos (forgot the direccion, back in the hood also)
You choose your fresh fish and how you want it cooked. Also delicious ceviches. Everything super fresh. Huge portions.

• El Camaron Dorado (on the transversal road, ideal stop if going to the East side)
Seafood tacos and sandwiches. Their signature dish is the taco de camaron empanizado (fried breaded shrimp). I'm salivating just thinking about those. But they have many other seafood fillings.

• El Chino Marinero (downtown, I think on Juarez with Calle 20)
If you can't make it to the Camaron Dorado, they serve good seafood tacos and sandwiches here too.

All the above places are open for lunch only.

FOR DINNER

• Los Otates (Avenida 15 between Calle 1 y 3)
My favorite for tacos al pastor and quesadillas. Open from noon till 4 am.
Other taco places often recommanded on the board include Los Seras and El Pique on Avenida 30.

• Los 3 Gatitos (on Calle 7 downtown)
Few items on the menu but they're all tasty. Awesome huaraches and salbutes, the typical antojitos of the Yucatan, as well as chicken soup.

• Kinta's (Avenida 5 between Calle 2 y 4)
More expensive that the above places and not as typical, but definitely worth a visit. The menu changes seasonally and features an interesting mexican-european fusion cuisine. You have to try the salads. Nice atmosphere (you can eat in the beautiful garden patio), great service.

• La Perlita (way back in the hood, forgot exact location)
For seafood. Good and fresh.

• Also love Rolandi's for thin crust pizzas and sunsets, but that's not Mexican food.

MISCELLANEOUS

• Chocolates Kakao makes great chocolate. Perfect for snacks or gifts. They offer tours of their facility and sell their own stuff. Some of their products are also available at The Coffee Cozumel, Los Cinco Soles souvenir stores and El Maharaja delimarket on Avenida 15.

Almost forgot the most typical regional dish : cochinita pibil. Usually sold Sunday mornings and served sandwich style. I heard there was only one place on the island that cooks it the traditionnal way (in banana leaves in the ground, if I recall correctly), but I don't know where it is.
Look for signs and ask locals where would be a good place to get it.

There's a place we do like to eat - not authentic Mexican - which is on the waterfront. Again, I forget the name, but it is just south of Margaritaville. The sunset view is spectacular, they have a 2 for 1 cocktail hour, and make a pretty good thin crust pizza. We've eaten there many times.

Rolandi's is next door to the south of Rita ville and the Waffle House (don't know the new name) is next door to the north - across the street frm Mega

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom