Best places to do an instructor internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jon Brad

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys, new here, so sorry if this is in the wrong board.

I'm exploring options on where to do my PADI OWI course. Currently a Divemaster with well over the required 100 dives.

My list currently includes Utila in Honduras, Cozumel in Mexico, Bali, Gili and Komodo in Indonesia, Malapascua in the Philippines, and Koh Lanta in Thailand.

I did my Divemaster at Koh Tao in Thailand, and while I liked the party party atmosphere at the time (I was 21) I'm more interested in high quality training and (ideally) low cost of living now.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

Why don't you do the course at home (BC)? If you plan on teaching local, it makes sense to train/learn local. I am sure Doug could set you up.

Train where you plan to teach.

Are you getting the training to work as a instructor or do you just enjoy the travel and atmosphere?

^^^This^^^

^^Agree^^ Because it is best to train with familiar environment and respective equipment, ie: you will not do your IDC in dry-suit in SEA and some crucial techniques that you will learn in warm-water during your IDC might be obsolete back in Canada and vice versa.

I did my Divemaster at Koh Tao in Thailand, and while I liked the party party atmosphere at the time (I was 21) I'm more interested in high quality training and (ideally) low cost of living now.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!

On the other hand, you might also need to take into account that it have been well over 6 years ago for you at Koh Tao, Thailand and lot of stuffs have change in a good way - shops & staffs become more experiences, more affordable long-term accommodation, etc.- i know a lot of my friend who did their IDC here - Koh Tao Diving at Crystal Dive, PADI Dive Centre

I also know that some people choose go to Utila,Honduras to get trained and teach there, although mainly for tek diving. " No Fishies":idk:

Hope you find a high-standard shop to train you soon !

. . .

Sounds like Utila to me. There's some nightlife, but nothing like what I perceive Koh Tao (I haven't been there) to be.

I suspect those who advise to train where you plan to teach know what they're talking about. If you aim to be one of those itinerant instructors who relocates to a new tropical paradise every few years, you would be in good company on Utila. If you plan to teach in BC, that's another story.

I'll add that I met one instructor--nice young lady--in one of those tropical paradise locations who had done most of her training in the Northeast US. She was well respected by her peers (and me the student) and probably had a lot more savvy than some of the instructors who had never experienced diving in more difficult conditions. So, even if your ultimate goal is to teach all over the warm water world, you might nonetheless consider doing your IDC in BC.

Oh I absolutely agree about the cold water/warm water differences. When I came back here and got into my bulky Brooks neoprene drysuit the first time, it was like starting at Open Water all over again!

I think I'd prefer warmer/tropical diving and travelling around. So it makes more sense to do it in one of the aforementioned locations.

I may have worded it poorly, not knocking the quality of training on Koh Tao, there are some great schools there for sure. (hard for there not to be some good ones when there's like 60 schools on the island lol) But the place is so bloody over dived, ideally I'd like a place that still has traffic (customers!) coming though, but doesn't feel like a factory like Tao.

Is Utila and Roatan the same way?

Thanks for the replies.

Oh I absolutely agree about the cold water/warm water differences. When I came back here and got into my bulky Brooks neoprene drysuit the first time, it was like starting at Open Water all over again!

I think I'd prefer warmer/tropical diving and travelling around. So it makes more sense to do it in one of the aforementioned locations.

I may have worded it poorly, not knocking the quality of training on Koh Tao, there are some great schools there for sure. (hard for there not to be some good ones when there's like 60 schools on the island lol) But the place is so bloody over dived, ideally I'd like a place that still has traffic (customers!) coming though, but doesn't feel like a factory like Tao.

Thanks for the replies.
Umm, you remind me to revise my side-mount knowledge by diving more with the setup- it is always good to keep my claw sharp!

What can i say about Koh Tao, it is an absolute honey pot for divers and those who wish to learn to dive, also those who want to party given that they come in the right time! "Under water traffic haha"

Base on the google map, you can take a ferry between the islands, they are not the same island but close to each other within the same country! Not crowded.

Lastly, based on my personal observation, many tech schools are located in Philippine and those tech divers always get the best training & stuffs as they are allowed to make as little mistake as possible and thus, there must be a number of high-standard IDC schools.Therefore, i would advise you to look into Philippine too as another option for your IDC if you want a easy logistic (easy to travel to other countries & visa and other legal stuffs as IDC will take some time and many people tend to do their internship). Great dive sites too (lot of wrecks)

. . . ideally I'd like a place that still has traffic (customers!) coming though, but doesn't feel like a factory like Tao.

My Utila days are long past--over 10 years ago--but from what I continue to read here on SB, I don't get the impression the place has become overrun with divers. Some have certainly called Utila a training "factory," but it didn't feel like it to me. It felt downright sleepy compared to some places I've been. I think you would like it. Roatan is similar but more diverse and more built up--there are more resorts there, and cruise shippers.

Back
Top Bottom