Locations & Costs for Divemaster internship Indonesia/Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi ScubaBoard community!
I am planning on doing a divemaster internship next year roughly between March and end of Mai either in Indonesia or the Philippines. Are there any persons in this community who can recommend specific dive center and/or locations?
I have around 45 dives at the moment and still need to do my rescue diver (which I plan to use to "test out" the dive center of choice before actually starting the internship). I am mostly interested in the overall total cost (including accomodation and food etc.) as well as the quality of teaching, the quality of diving as well as the quality of living (apart from.diving). I value better diving more than for example a party infrastructure etc.
I am mainly pursuing the divemaster to become a better diver learn how to better interact and handle people as well a just dive a lot for "little money".
All you input and thoughts are valued and highly welcome, thanks a lot already!

Hi ScubaBoard community!
I am planning on doing a divemaster internship next year roughly between March and end of Mai either in Indonesia or the Philippines. Are there any persons in this community who can recommend specific dive center and/or locations?
I have around 45 dives at the moment and still need to do my rescue diver (which I plan to use to "test out" the dive center of choice before actually starting the internship). I am mostly interested in the overall total cost (including accomodation and food etc.) as well as the quality of teaching, the quality of diving as well as the quality of living (apart from.diving). I value better diving more than for example a party infrastructure etc.
I am mainly pursuing the divemaster to become a better diver learn how to better interact and handle people as well a just dive a lot for "little money".
All you input and thoughts are valued and highly welcome, thanks a lot already!
I know of a VERY cool diving instructor in Bohol named Manny who works at Alona Divers. I didn't get his permission to mention him on the internet but I have a feeling he won't mind. He speaks English and Tagalog and probably Bisaya by now too and he's one of the most chill and experienced instructors I can think of. Easily one of the best in the entire country (Philippines) in my opinion.

In fact, everyone in that dive shop is cool and it is just absurdly awesome diving with them. I have very good memories there. Alona Beach seems to me like an outstanding place to go and spend a couple of months and let me just say, a Divemaster internship should be one of the best times in your life. The diving is great there.

Let's see, Johan (Swedish) over at Neptune's in Moalboal is just a classy and outstanding human being as well. So if you go that way check him out but I'd say Bohol certainly has better dive sites than Moalboal. But I had a non-diving-related medical issue years ago and Johan basically took care of me. Got me checked out of my hotel with no charges or loss of my possessions and into a hospital and took care of my gear for me. He's a course director now and you'd be in good hands learning from him. He has excellent rental gear.

I'm also friends with Jay over at Sea Pearl Diver's in Siquijor who is a fantastic and knowledgeable diver and you can't go wrong at his shop if you're ever in Siquijor. He's a really big guy and very smart and one day, my sandals were stolen by a stray dog in front of his shop and he gave me his sandals. So add kindness to the list of his personality traits as well. I'm pretty sure he speaks German too, so you might check that out if that matters.

I don't remember prices off the top of my head, sorry. However, since you're not asking about Koh Tao, I am assuming you aren't looking for the cheapest but also not to overpay. So worry not, diving in the Philippines is reasonably priced. Best of fortune on your adventure.

I'm also friends with Jay over at Sea Pearl Diver's in Siquijor who is a fantastic and knowledgeable diver and you can't go wrong at his shop if you're ever in Siquijor. He's a really big guy and very smart and one day, my sandals were stolen by a stray dog in front of his shop and he gave me his sandals. So add kindness to the list of his personality traits as well. I'm pretty sure he speaks German too, so you might check that out if that matters.

Will also vouch for the team at Sea Pearl Diver's, really enjoyed my time diving with them!

I personally prefer Indonesia over the Philippines. Both countries have generally lovely and friendly people, but Indonesia stands out with its diversity and for maintaining its culture(s) deeply rooted in animism and dynamism. I would recommend diving extensively before pursuing your DM certification.
An apprenticeship is undoubtedly a good way to go. I suggest choosing the location first and applying at some dive centers but only making a final decision once you're there and had a look. However, ensure that they cover your work/stay permit, which can be expensive and complicated in both countries. In Indonesia, you can likely obtain a 2-month Social Study Visa (Social Budaya Visa), which can be extended up to 180 days.
As of location in Indonesia you will find high density of dive centers and reasonable infrastructure in Bali (Sanur, Amed or Padang Bai), Lombok (Gillis), Flores (Labuhan Bajo) or Manado... there are many other great locations but they are "far" and more isolated.

Indonesia just has better diving too imo. I did a bunch of liveaboards around Komodo and Raja Ampat and saw some amazing wildlife. Philippines has better food imo, but that's subjective and it's easy to find bad food anywhere.

Something I personally couldn't get used to in Indonesia was the religious practice of many people there. Most people are more tolerant of Islam than I am so it probably won't matter to most of you but I just don't sleep at all when I can hear a mosque blasting Arabic prayers every few hours. This is due to my several tours in two warzones , it's just me and most likely you won't have that issue. But diving off the boats was absolutely fantastic and the Papuans are Christian. Bali is Hindu/Buddhist but I'm pretty sure you can still hear mosques around in parts.

Something I personally couldn't get used to in Indonesia was the religious practice of many people there. Most people are more tolerant of Islam than I am so it probably won't matter to most of you but I just don't sleep at all when I can hear a mosque blasting Arabic prayers every few hours.
I get it, it's basically impossible not to hear the Mosques (which is the purpose of a prayer call), specially on Java and Lombok. Sometimes I have to remind my self that I'm a guest in this country and I certainly have no right to complain. After a while you do get used to it, and hour long prayers normally only happens on two days a year. The morning prayer (at first light) can wake me, but it's over within 10 min and I personally like to start my day early anyway. I'm just saying it's not too bothering and worst case you always can use earplugs.

I get it, it's basically impossible not to hear the Mosques (which is the purpose of a prayer call), specially on Java and Lombok. Sometimes I have to remind my self that I'm a guest in this country and I certainly have no right to complain. After a while you do get used to it, and hour long prayers normally only happens on two days a year. The morning prayer (at first light) can wake me, but it's over within 10 min and I personally like to start my day early anyway. I'm just saying it's not too bothering and worst case you always can use earplugs.
Yeah you're right and I think most people would not agree with even what I have already said here but certainly if I wasn't holding back, I'd just come off as too much of a white American. I won't try too hard hide it, better to be disliked for the bigot I am. I don't think it would be very hard for someone more (let's say open minded) than I am to enjoy themselves as a foreign tourist in a Muslim majority country.

I'm really trying my best not to get canceled here but I think if you're looking into spending a few months in a place you should at least consider this side of the conversation.

Back
Top Bottom