Best places to do an instructor internship

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do not, and I repeat DO NOT get suckinered into one of those Internships that guarentee you a set number of certs post IDC. I don't mean speciality certs, for MSDT I refer to normal certs OW +

This issue here is (apart from having part with X number of extra $$) is that the reason for the 25 certs for MSDT is for you to learn and develop by the time you reach 25 you will have ironed out most of the wrinkles and be more confident.

As a new Instructor you won't be happy with more than 2 students - so doing basic maths you'll see that to get 25 certs you won't be teaching that much but participate on the last dives and take the certs.

IDC and IE aren't that hard (but a lot of intense work) I'd agree do it somewhere close to where you live. Prepare yourself in advance by completing lots of the theory self study packages. Look for a quality operation and CD. Quantity does not mean quality and the more you can learn about teaching skills, and student control the better.

One of the easiest ways is to get yourself in the pool as a certified assistance and "help" teach before hand with different instructors. It will get you skills while will help you during IDC/IE but more importantly afterwards, when you're on your own with a couple of students.

During training yoru "students" are fellow Instructors or instructor candidates after you correct a problem they can do the skill straight away. This is not real life so the best skills you can learn in advance is how to solve and issues the student may have - which means developing a "Toolbox" of skills

Just my 2c

Do not, and I repeat DO NOT get suckinered into one of those Internships that guarentee you a set number of certs post IDC. I don't mean speciality certs, for MSDT I refer to normal certs OW +

This issue here is (apart from having part with X number of extra $$) is that the reason for the 25 certs for MSDT is for you to learn and develop by the time you reach 25 you will have ironed out most of the wrinkles and be more confident.

As a new Instructor you won't be happy with more than 2 students - so doing basic maths you'll see that to get 25 certs you won't be teaching that much but participate on the last dives and take the certs.

IDC and IE aren't that hard (but a lot of intense work) I'd agree do it somewhere close to where you live. Prepare yourself in advance by completing lots of the theory self study packages. Look for a quality operation and CD. Quantity does not mean quality and the more you can learn about teaching skills, and student control the better.

One of the easiest ways is to get yourself in the pool as a certified assistance and "help" teach before hand with different instructors. It will get you skills while will help you during IDC/IE but more importantly afterwards, when you're on your own with a couple of students.

During training yoru "students" are fellow Instructors or instructor candidates after you correct a problem they can do the skill straight away. This is not real life so the best skills you can learn in advance is how to solve and issues the student may have - which means developing a "Toolbox" of skills

Just my 2c

What i meant by internship is normal one. I m not aware that there is such type of internship existing.

Gili Trawangan with Holly as ITC instructor if you want to stay PADI. There is good nightlife on the island, great diving and lots of teaching... And Holly is one of the best PADI teachers. Check for Trawangan Divers on Gili Trawangan.
If you like to do SSI instead, check for Jojo in Manta Dive.

Hi guys, new here, so sorry if this is in the wrong board.

I'm exploring options on where to do my PADI OWI course. Currently a Divemaster with well over the required 100 dives.

My list currently includes Utila in Honduras, Cozumel in Mexico, Bali, Gili and Komodo in Indonesia, Malapascua in the Philippines, and Koh Lanta in Thailand.

I did my Divemaster at Koh Tao in Thailand, and while I liked the party party atmosphere at the time (I was 21) I'm more interested in high quality training and (ideally) low cost of living now.

Any input would be appreciated! Thanks!
Hello,

We are a new dive shop in Labuan Bajo and we offer IDCs also as one of our instructors is PADI Course Director. He has more than 10 years experience and 5 just teaching professional level divers. We have high training standards and although here you can have a beer after your classes, Labuan Bajo is not a party place.

Have a look to our Divemaster Brochure and visit our website to get to know more about us. If you want more information please drop us an email at info@azulunlimited.com

Thanks and good luck in your search.

Attachments

• Divemaster Course Description.pdf
    6.3 MB · Views: 154
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom