Best Places to Dive in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bonaire, Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Turks & Caicos would all be on my list. All have some pros and cons for newer divers depending on their preferences and experience. I'd genereally recommend Costa Rica after a bit more experience. Feel free to message me if you have specific questions regarding the 4 recommendations above. Info such as boat/shore, guided/independent... might help people with their suggestions to you.

Little Cayman and Curacao are next on my list.

Good diving, Craig

Saba and St. Marteen---both great dives for any level

It's not the diving that pisses me off, it's the attitude of the locals....that's why I don't go there anymore. Stay in an all-inclusive, and it's much better. I'll just go to Mexico :)

It's not the diving that pisses me off, it's the attitude of the locals....that's why I don't go there anymore. Stay in an all-inclusive, and it's much better. I'll just go to Mexico :)

Where at? The Bahamas? Please elaborate

Little Cayman Beach Resort.
I agree with this recommendation. Little Cayman has great diving--among the top few destinations in the Caribbean. They are all wall dives, requiring the diver to monitor his depth. That shouldn't be a challenge, but having a shallow, visible bottom, like in Bonaire, might provide some added comfort to some beginning divers.

Saba and St. Marteen---both great dives for any level
I have not been to Saba yet, but it has been strongly recommended to me. From what I have been told, the best dives are on fairly deep pinnacles.

I would recommend Cozumel where the visibility helps keep you calm and relaxed as you get used to being underwater. I have found a wonderful small dive outfit that caters to certifying divers and dealing with new and inexperienced divers. His name is Hernan Bacelis and his dive shop Sherwood Depot and Reef Divers of Cozumel, Mexico! and you can contact him hernanbace​lis@hotmail​.com

I also recommend Roatan, Honduras. Very nice reefs and a few wrecks with mild or no current. I've been to Anthony's Key Resort twice. They offer a dolphin program (training, snorkeling, and diving), a shark dive, and a great kid's program. Continental has direct flights from Houston to Roatan on the weekends.

Here's a link to my blog posts about Roatan and Honduras:
Jet Lag Journal: Honduras

OK, so by now you learned one of the first things that people discovered in the Internet based information age: too much information is the same as too little information.

I suggest you try a different search process.

1. Look at potential travel locations for a variety of non-dive reasons. These include cost to get there, housing, etc.

2. Narrow your search to a few that sound like they are promising.

3. Scroll down to the Regional Travel section of ScubaBoard and locate the Caribbean Forum and the Mexico Forum. (Cozumel has its own subforum there because of its popularity.)

4. Use the search feature to get some background information on each of your potential sites.

5. Use that information to refine your search and think of anything else you want to know about potential sites and operators.

6. Ask very specific questions in the appropriate travel site.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom