Best place to live in USA if you are a diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello board,

If you could base yourself anywhere in USA then as a diver where would like to live? There are many ways in which we can interpret this question. If I could have a house in Cape Ann MA I would be happy. There is plenty of cold water diving on the island and since it is all shore diving, the cost of dive is the cost of your air fill! The con is that while you have some great dive sites in your backyard, cost of going anywhere else for diving are significantly higher. Caribbean flights are more expensive etc.

DC Virginia area is a great place to be a diver but not the way Cape Ann is. We do not have great dive sites in our immediate backyard but we are 6 hours away from North Carolina and 4 hours from New Jersey and some of the Great Lakes diving is also within driving distance. As a wreck diver you are placed right in the middle of some of the best wreck dives so it is a great trade off.

Florida? I would like to see if there is a place that can beat Florida. I envy you folks from Florida because you have Cave diving in your backyard, wreck diving in your back yard and reef diving in your backyard. If someone never left Florida they would still die as a very happy diver because Florida has so much to offer locally. I like cold water marine life so if there is any con then it would be that.

Great Lakes areas. I don't know how to rate those. Some of the best wrecks are right there but would you not get bored diving the same wrecks over and over again? Cost of going anywhere else of northern states is the highest and while you have amazing wreck diving in your area, every thing else is as far as it could be.

Seattle to me seems like another cold water divers paradise. It also puts you in close proximity to Canadian dive sites and Browning Pass etc. Wreck diving scene does not seem to be as big there as it is in North Carolina and Great Lakes and you would really have to be a cold water junkie to love it there. Caribbean is not as cheap to get to but Asia Pacific is cheaper to fly to than it is from every where else. Who would prefer Caribbean to Asia Pacific anyways?

California. I dont know much about the diving scene there except there are kelp forests down there and people dont get tired of diving them. If you ever get bored of Kelp then there is always more kelp to keep you entertained.

With all their pros and cons how would you rank the best places to be a diver in USA?

Thanks.

West Coast if you like wildlife *SoCal to Seattle depending on your affinity for cold water*, somewhere between NC and NJ if you like wrecks *though they're getting destroyed quickly*, and Florida for all around diving. I wouldn't want to live in the Great Lakes region because of the limited diving season due to the ice.

If I had to choose, it would probably be Tampa. Close wreck diving, close shore diving, 5 hours to Marianna caves, 3 hours to Peacock area, 5 hours to Key Largo which is easily doable for weekends. On the gulf side so no real risk of hurricanes, Major city for flying around. Water is warm all year, though the summers are brutal, but for overall if I had to choose one place for best overall balanced diving, it would probably be Tampa. Not necessarily the best in any one type of diving, but proximity to everything it is probably the best overall. If you're a cave diver, you're far better off going to Gainesville or Tallahassee, reef diver to Largo, wrecks to NC. all obviously my opinion

Boston area or Rhode Island close to the water. Great diving all over New England including wrecks and NY/NJ are within driving distance for more wreck diving during the weekend.

I'm very happy living in Boynton Beach, 3 miles to the BB marina, 15 mi to West Palm and the BHB, 30 mi to Jupiter, 30 mi to Pompano, only 125 mi to Key Largo. Caribbean is a short flight away

I lived in San Diego, I could live there again, very good shore and boat diving. Low 50s is not so cold, that's what dry suits are for.

San Diego-great shore diving, good boats, access to Mexican waters, nice weather.

Inland NC has to be the best, because I have a cold low vis quarry just over an hour away! No need for good vis when there isn't much to see anyway! I seriously envy you guys. All joking aside, my choice would have to be somewhere in FL.

Summer/Fall in New England/NY/NJ area. Winter/Spring in FL/NC. The following Year CA/WA for the whole year from the Canadian border to the Mexican border. This is my dream two year dive vacation.

One must also point out that the "USA" includes Alaska, Hawaii, Guam and PR. Hawaii and Guam will be on the third year vacation plan.

Puerto Rico (if that counts), as you're in the Caribbean area for shells and not in a Marine Sanctuary like USVI. If not, then either SW Coast of Florida or maybe better yet the Keys. If you're talking of all US possessions, then tops for me would be places like Guam, possibly Hawaii, those other Pacific islands. But I'm only considering the diving/shell collecting, not other aspects of living in such places (such as remoteness, Hawaii's expensive living, etc.).

Last edited:
Somewhere between Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale. Lot's of options in south Florida and the Keys.

Within 30 minutes of a major international airport is a must. South Florida might work, as all of the Caribbean is just a short flight away. Local diving there ain't too bad, either.

I used to live in San Diego, and while I'd move back in a heartbeat, it wouldn't be for the diving. To me, "diving" means a place with a tropical or semi-tropical vibe.

Back
Top Bottom