Best place to buy Oly 5050 and PT-015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I knew someone was gonna give me some lip, I shudda known it would be you! :rofL:

I'm waiting to see what the word is from DEMA but I've been considering the switch. Both my C-4040 and PT-10 are no longer being produced and so couldn't be replaced if needed. I have my doubts that Olympus is going to produce another C-series camera. They seem to be putting their money into the inferior C-5000 and their new digital SLR E-series. Which leaves me no reason to wait any longer.

I just thought I'd better make the move while everyone is still putting out current and usable info on the C-5050. It's really discouraging when I never read a photo topic about my poor little C-4040 :(

One of the things I don't like about the C-5050 is that jog dial. Just trying to figure out a way around it. Going with Ike will be a last choice. But that PT15 sure has an awful lots of buttons, some right on top of othrs!

I have a friend with a C-5050/PT15 rig. I'll borrow his for a dive or two before I finally decide. On the other hand, there's not a thing wrong with my little 4040 buddy!

Heck if there is the chance they are not going to keep making them , I may have to get a spare :D

The jog dial thing really isn’t that bad .....sure in the beginning its different ... even awkward ..... but I've found "my modes" take care of most of the settings I use......and if you get the Ikelite ... problem solved (I know I know :wink: ) and the button thing ...well it doesn’t matter what housing you choose.

I understand your feelings about your "Old buddy" as I felt the same going from the 3040 ..... which is still a great camera!!!! But this thing ROCKS!!!! =-)

Look at it this way …. at least if you do decided to go with the 5050 you wont be paying introduction prices like some of us “less patient” types did :D :D ....

Finesse once bubbled...
I understand your feelings about your "Old buddy" as I felt the same going from the 3040 ..... which is still a great camera!!!! But this thing ROCKS!!!! =-)

Yeah, But see.....I keep hearing all you smarty pants saying this! Makes me wonder what I'm missing. :rolleyes: You at least got to jump a model! I figure the old 4040 could be my back up.

What worries me is what if, liking the 4040 like I do, I don't like the 5050? Are the results going to be that much better? Is the Super macro worth it or will a macro attachment lens give me the same thing, like Laz claims? I admit I like the results I've seen. Even rank beginning first timers are getting great shots.

The way this year has gone, I don't need a new camera to shoot green water, feshwater damsels and catfish! :eek:ut:

I may be picking your brain at a later date!

Another quick question regarding Ikelite housing. One thing I don't like about the Ike housing for C4040 was the dial that control the zoom function. Unlike the PT 010, the dial/lever thing is not spring loaded so I have to manually turn the dial back halfway after adjusting the zoom, otherwise if the zoom lever is not return to the center, the camera won't take a picture. Not too much of a hazzle but I forget to do that sometimes and wonder why nothing happen when I press the shutter.
Is this still the case with Oly5050 housing or has Ike finally fixed it.

must be manually returned to center/disengaged. It is not spring-loaded.

I don't find it to be a problem.

dvleemin once bubbled...
Thanks Guys!

But anyone have any more comments on where to buy it :)

Darryl
For the camera, I'd suggest checking pricegrabber.com. That's how I found NWV Direct. I was very satisifed with the salesperson (Henry) and the service. I got my PT-015 on eBay from 47th St. Photo.

Back to the question.....

Where ever you buy just make sure they are Olympus online authorized dealers well if you buy it online :D ...... I think you can go to the Olympus site to find out who they are ......

Do Not trust anyone as many claim to be such and are not ..... we found out first hand .....found a dealer on cnet with an attractive price claimed to be authorized and received a gray market camera .... some options typically packaged with the camera for the US market were missing and found out directly from Olympus it was meant for European distribution so it got sent back quickly.

I'm not one to look for the absolute lowest price as in this day and age you've got lots of shifty :mean: people out there..... sure its nice to save money and some are legit....but when the thing breaks or you need support your out of luck.

I'd stick with the big camera houses in NY as mentioned above .....B & H photo is another one. The ones mentioned have been around for awhile and wont disappear on you.

As for the housing there is another thread running right now with a similar question … The same stands for your housing …. If you need help or advice you’re not going to get it from the big photo shops. Unless your thinking of an Ikelite or L&M Tetra housing, which have excellent customer support.

Dee.....I really think you would ABSOLUTLY KICK BUTT with this thing ...... I really believe you would like it too. It takes a little getting use to but once you've dived with it a few times its all second nature. And the macro lenses ....Laz may very well be right .... but that’s just another lens to mess with/lose U/W vs. it being built into the camera. Boy don’t I sound like an Olympus rep!!!!! :D

It should be interesting to see what Jeff has to say about the 5050 vs his DSLR after the Bonaire trip.

ssra....Like Genesis mentions ... no spring .... but no problem either. Initially I put some closed cell foam between the housing and the actuator for the zoom , V-notched it to fit the thing and it helped bring it back to center ...... dont even use it anymore.. I just automatically do it if I'm playing with the zoom.

Hmm, did some price search via bizrate.com and a few places have the 5050 listed under $500! However none of those stores have any significant customer feedback so who knows.
Actually today I found some places here in Thailand that offer a pretty good price that is not much more expensive than the prices offered in the major camera stores in NY that was mentioned earlier so may be I won't have to wait until my friend goes to NY in October to get the camera :)
Now I just have to see how quickly can the local dealer here gets the Ikelite housing in . May be I will even have the setup ready for my trip in October!

Why did I buy a macro lens for my 4040 2 months ago:grrr:

Back
Top Bottom