Best Place for Weights with BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Boswell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a SS Backplate/30#Wing setup with a HP100 Steel tank and use a 7-mil wetsuit. I use two 4# lead weights, in velcro-flapped weight pockets on the waist band. I love this rig, and it has near-perfect weighting and trim.

I would like more room on my waist belt for other things (shears, pockets, etc) and I want to put the lead weights somewhere else.

I know you can put weight pockets on the lower tank strap, but then I would be back-heavy, and those weights would not be ditchable.

I know you can put about 4 lbs in a spine pocket on the backplate, but my rig doesn't allow for that, and again, not ditchable.

Since I don't want to use a separate weight belt, the only solution seems to be (1) to somehow attach the weight pockets to the outside lower surface of the backplate, or (2) to attach the weights to the lower part of the shoulder straps.

Question: Is there a better place to put the weights? How important is "ditchability"? Anybody got any ideas?

Last edited:
I'd just like to ask why you don't want to use a weight belt. I find it a non issue with me. It does not interfere with the rig, I have xs pockets on mine so I can easily dump a couple pounds if I need to and it puts the weight where I need it. Attaching them to the outside of the plate could be done a number of ways. But you need to ask yourself the following questions: Is this change-
Safe and Reliable
Configured for self sufficiency and self rescue
Simple and streamlined
Easily reachable
Allows for buddy assist and rescue
Low drag profile- streamlined
Adaptable to the divers needs
Adaptable to the diver’s objective
All equipment identifiable by touch and location
Standardized with fellow divers yet versatile
Equipment Placement is balanced and instinctive
Any changes have been made gradually and with careful thought

It looks like you are trying to reinvent something. DSS makes weight plates that bolt onto their back plates. I have them for when I'm diving dry with single tanks. 8lbs total. I still though require 6-8 lbs on a belt. The 8lbs makes the rig stable and trimmed out well underwater but that's another 8lbs to lift onto the bench or tailgate when gearing up.

As for room to put other stuff the best way is pockets on your suit. I have two bellows type thigh pockets on my 3 mil and 5 mil. The drysuit has one on the right and I use a Dive Right thigh pocket that hangs on the waist belt and has straps around the thigh for the left. Thigh pockets are much more useful than ones up high on the waist strap. If your rig is as good for you as you say why would you change it? Change the way you store those extras and leave the rig alone. There's an old saying that goes- If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Assuming you're diving a single tank, have you considered a weighted tank adapter? Not ditchable however, but since you're not wanting them on waist or other pockets where you can reach them, it seems like that's not REALLY an issue.

You could also go with a weight belt or DUI weight harness; with only 8lbs shouldn't be a probem.

I have weightbelts and have used them. They are okay but not ideal. On the plus side they are common, available everywhere, well-understood by other divers/rescuers, and easily ditchable.

On the minus side, a weightbelt tends to slip downwards below my belly/small hips, it is an extra piece of gear, it is an extra belt and buckle around my waist, and the buckle is an additional potential failure point.

I'd just like to ask why you don't want to use a weight belt. I find it a non issue with me. It does not interfere with the rig, I have xs pockets on mine so I can easily dump a couple pounds if I need to and it puts the weight where I need it. Attaching them to the outside of the plate could be done a number of ways. But you need to ask yourself the following questions: Is this change-
Safe and Reliable
Configured for self sufficiency and self rescue
Simple and streamlined
Easily reachable
Allows for buddy assist and rescue
Low drag profile- streamlined
Adaptable to the divers needs
Adaptable to the diver’s objective
All equipment identifiable by touch and location
Standardized with fellow divers yet versatile
Equipment Placement is balanced and instinctive
Any changes have been made gradually and with careful thought

It looks like you are trying to reinvent something. DSS makes weight plates that bolt onto their back plates. I have them for when I'm diving dry with single tanks. 8lbs total. I still though require 6-8 lbs on a belt. The 8lbs makes the rig stable and trimmed out well underwater but that's another 8lbs to lift onto the bench or tailgate when gearing up.

As for room to put other stuff the best way is pockets on your suit. I have two bellows type thigh pockets on my 3 mil and 5 mil. The drysuit has one on the right and I use a Dive Right thigh pocket that hangs on the waist belt and has straps around the thigh for the left. Thigh pockets are much more useful than ones up high on the waist strap. If your rig is as good for you as you say why would you change it? Change the way you store those extras and leave the rig alone. There's an old saying that goes- If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Thanks, I really appreciate the input. I am always looking for ways to simplify and streamline things and minimize gear and failure points.

Another option would be to leave the weight pockets on your belt as they are and have pockets glued to the thighs of your wet suit for storage of your "stuff". It would lead to less clutter around your waist--a pocket big enough to store a spare mask or spool and SMB is going to be fairly bulky.

I use XS Scuba weight pouches on my BP/W....

Two on my waist belt and two on the top cam band......

I push the waist pockets all the way back so they touch the BP and use rigid D-rings to keep them there......this leaves me plenty of room for shears, can light and extra velcro pocket for a spare computer on my waist......

I use a plastic buckle to hold the shears and can light tight up against the pouch/D-ring on the right side......

My SS buckle holds the pouch on the left side that way nothing falls off when I get out of the rig.......

My darling bride laughs and says it looks like the bat belt.......:)

Hope this helps......M

...well, ditchability is less critical if you, for instance, dive a dual bladder wing...as I do. :)

...on a more serious note, I 'solved' your problem as I 'suffer' from the same problem, as with a 34" waist, I have less real estate to stow all my goodies than some people....so I'm using a Deepoutdoors Matrix Limited harness, which a a double helping of waist webbing so I've managed to stack Halcyon mask pockets on the upper webbing, and Halcyon vertical release weight pockets on the lower webbing....so the Halcyon pockets are like shingles on a roof and overlap the weight pockets......so I managed to make room on the waist for 4 weight pockets, 2 Halcyon mask pockets, 1 line cutter, 1 dive knife, assorted fixed-bent D-rings for clipping off guages/computers on both sides.

Who is "Jim Lapenta" and why is he using Jim Lap's avatar?

But, on a more serious note, it sounds like you are trying to make your bp/w into a weight integrated bcd. That is contrary to what I understand to be the whole concept.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom