Best online dive log app?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for subsurface as well as shearwater. Both work great. I dual sync with both..not because I have to, but because owning a shearwater computer just made me use that as well and I like their interface.

Always used to store locally, but since using subsurface cloud I could not be happier.

I looked into a bunch of the log apps a few years back as I despised the software that came with my computers. Of those, Subsurface and Diving Log were the best I found at the time. Of those two, I opted for using Diving Log and have generally been pretty happy with it. It does everything I need it to do, and most of the things I wish it would do.

At this point, the main feature I'm currently missing is native OneDrive support from Android. I do all of my uploading/editing using the Windows app and would like to be able to seemlessly access that data from the Diving Log app on my Android phone. I believe he said this feature is coming at some point....

subsurface++ just need to submit a patch to get the appimage working on native wayland instead of having to set xcb :p

At this point, the main feature I'm currently missing is native OneDrive support from Android. I do all of my uploading/editing using the Windows app and would like to be able to seemlessly access that data from the Diving Log app on my Android phone. I believe he said this feature is coming at some point....
I’m not exactly sure I’m following you on this, as what you described seems like a key feature that should be available in any online divelog, though not necessarily using OneDrive.

I do most of my uploading at the dive site using SW Cloud and/or Subsurface mobile apps on my iPhone. I also edit some info like weight, location, buddies, etc. after the upload. Then when I get home, I may add photos or additional comments, but all the data I uploaded, edited is there. I also have access to all the dives I’ve logged in Subsurface on the phone.

Is it that you want to use OneDrive as the cloud location instead of Divinglog’s cloud server?

’m not exactly sure I’m following you on this, as what you described seems like a key feature that should be available in any online divelog, though not necessarily using OneDrive.

Diving Log supports various cloud services for each platform it supports. The Windows version of Diving log can sync with OneDrive, Dropbox, Google Drive, etc. I used to have a Windows Phone for many years and the Windows Phone version of Diving Log would sync with OneDrive but I don't think it supported the other cloud storage providers. That's not a big deal as I'm already a OneDrive person. :) The Android version of Diving Log only seems to support Dropbox currently. I believe I read on their forum that they'd be adding other cloud providers eventually.

In any case, I do all my editing/uploading from Windows and that automatically syncs to OneDrive. If I make dive log updates and want to see them on my phone, I have to manually copy them from OneDrive to the phone. It's not too terrible since I rarely use Diving Log on my phone, but I might start using it more the syncing to OneDrive worked automatically.

Have you tried Shearwater Cloud? I find it to be easy to use and gives me all the information I want. It syncs between my iPhone app and my MacBook easily. Nothing like sneaking a peak at some old dives when you're stuck at work.

I am using that app and it’s great that it generates a log for you but worried about the lack of a dive buddy to sign for you. Do you know if there is a way around that?

Another +1 for Subsurface. You can log all of the information you want in the various sections such as buddy,, DM, suit, weighting (including how the weight was used such as belt, harness etc) location (including GPS if you have it), photos and videos. All of which comes in handy later when you want to remember which dives you did with a particular buddy or how much weight you needed with a specific suit.

Also with having cloud storage, it allows you two sync multiple devices such as desktop, tablet, PC, MAC. I use my phone to sync from the Perdix which then syncs with the cloud and I can add further details later (end of the day or end of the trip)

As for signing, apart from doing certain courses (which are dive number limited such as DM, instructor, solo etc), you will find that almost no-one needs or wants to see your log apart from you. Even with those they won't need them signed.

Thanks, I did not realize that.

I am using that app and it’s great that it generates a log for you but worried about the lack of a dive buddy to sign for you. Do you know if there is a way around that?
Is this an issue where you are?

Not trying to be funny, but genuinely asking as this side of the world with all the digital logs, I barely sign logbooks anymore and most don't. Only for my students for training dives, and then most of them convert to digital anyway.

I find adding a 'buddy' to the dive suffices, as you can then remember who you dived with and always validate I guess. But yeah...digital does come with its issues, especially where you can just drop a scanned signature on a document. I don't think there anything as secure as i.e. Adobe's "Fill and Sign" feature in the diving logbook world. Doubt most would take that up anyway.

Thanks, I did not realize that.
One of the beauties of a digital log book is that once you have downloaded the dive from your computer you and anyone you choose to show it to can see your dives and profiles. If I were to show anyone my log on Subsurface they can quickly see what types of dives, where and who with and exactly how the profile went with ascent rates, gas use etc.

This imho makes it better than a log book where you (if you were unscrupulous) could very easily make up as many dives as you wanted or needed with whatever profile & dive time you wanted (if you need a set number of dives for a course such as DM, instructor etc) and make up a signature to go with it. Need another 10 dives for DM? Simple 10 minutes with a ball point pen and I can have those done with anything between 20 -60 mins with various depths, multi level profiles & whatever gas usage I like and I can have them signed by whatever buddy I want ( anyone want M. Mouse or D. Duck as a dive buddy?)

A digital dive profile can be fraudulently created in a spreadsheet AFAIK (you can export a profile to a spreadsheet so I would assume you can create one in it) but it is so much more work than a log book

Back
Top Bottom