Best online dive log app?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think, given recent developments, I'll just vote with my feet and move away from Subsurface. I have nothing invested in it, and rarely use it, so little to lose.

I tried Dive Log, and switched to MacDive on my iPhone and Mac. Obviously only an option if you are invested in Apple products and plan to stay that way. But the user interface is what sold me.

I've just been keeping my dive log and notes in a large Google Sheet... but obviously no signature from anyone.

It's interesting that when we were in French Polynesia, all of the French divers brought their physical dive logbooks (or at least a few photocopy pages of blank dive logs), and each dive shop and individual instructor/DM had their own stamps that usually had a cool Polynesian tattoo-style design of sharks, mantas or turtles. I collected these stamps on a small notebook I had with me... very cool souvenirs :wink:

Subsurface is my go to. Pairs really easy with my OSTC for download. (OSTC recommends it too)

As for website based you can use divelogs - Online Dive Logs, and upload to it from subsurface, and you have the ability for your buddy to sign them off.

MacDive but I only run Apple gadgets.

thanks I will try that out. Do you know if there is a mechanism for the dive buddy to sign off on the logs?
Apart from online logs put out by a certification agency, I’ve never seen that ability in an online log. And then, I think it’s limited to a dive pro. SSI allows an instructor (maybe DM) to sign off, but I’m not sure of the others.

I’ve only used the SSI log enough to know that I didn’t want to use the SSI log for logging dives. Too clunky for my liking. I also couldn’t upload from my computer or from an existing log. I’ve heard that you can import if you have a Mares computer, but since I don’t, I didn’t look into this.

I wouldn’t worry too much if someone is able to sign off on the electronic log. For the most part, the log is for your own use. Apart from a class environment, I’ve never been asked by anyone to show a log. And if that were to happen, I could show my electronic log complete with dive profiles. If a dive operator then told me a signature was required, I wouldn’t want to dive with them anyway as they seem to be stuck in the 1970s.

I’ve used a few electronic logs in the past. Started as soon as I had a computer with ability to export the profile and parameters.

Initially, I used Diverlog as I used an Oceanic computer. I only used the desktop version.
I then started playing around with Subsurface. Originally, I preferred DiverLog, but I continued logging on both programs, and soon started to prefer Subsurface.

I’m glad I did, as I now dive with a Shearwater. DiverLog doesn’t work with the Shearwater computer, and the Shearwater Cloud (or Desktop) doesn’t work with other computers or logs. When I got the SW, I also enabled Cloud syncing with Subsurface and downloaded the app for my phone.

My advice would be to look at logging programs with broad computer support. You may still need a computer specific app for firmware updates, etc., but if you change brands in the future, you may find that you’ll have two logs.

I also looked at MacDive. I liked it, but I couldn’t find anything about it that I really liked more than Subsurface.

I think, given recent developments, I'll just vote with my feet and move away from Subsurface. I have nothing invested in it, and rarely use it, so little to lose.
What happened? Dirk and Linus get into a tiff or something?

Subsurface has cloud storage, so you have it anytime you have a data access.
And, once sync’d you can still access the log offline. You should still be able to download new dives, and sync when you have data.

What happened? Dirk and Linus get into a tiff or something?
No. Dirk and a manufacturer got in a bit of a disagreement, or misunderstanding. I don’t use that computer, so I have no dog in the fight.

Two sides to every story. I don’t know who was right, or who was wrong, or if it’s somewhere in between. I do know that Subsurface has done everything I need it to, and works with my computer and my daughters’ computers, so I’ll continue to use it.

Back
Top Bottom