Best meal by Restaurant in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

5 month bump...
So I have this sick obsession with Burritos... Who better to ask than the folks who have recently been here? Any suggestions to a good place to start eating?

I typed in Burrito to the search and got some interesting responses.... :sos:

Dorados de Villa, on the square, gets mixed reviews, but I love eating there and especially love their burritos. The guacamole appetizer is very good, as well.

true the menu changed but yvonne has not gone back to the states. her homes here. i do hope they go back to the old menu with more options. i thought the new menu was just for xmas andnew years but i was wrong.

Hokay, now I've got to put my 2 psi in. I just got back from Coz yesterday, neatly missing that Norte that came in on Friday :eyebrow:, and we encountered a new place that I've gotta squeak about. But first, a little background... My wife came down with a good cold just before our trip started, (naturally :shakehead:) and although it didn't seem to affect her diving any, it did wear her out more and tuesday evening she was dragging. We decided to try someplace close to our hotel (Suites Bahia) for supper, and we wandered down 5th ave. to Rosada Salas (which is one block north of Calle 3 where our hotel was located) and then up Salas we went toward 10th ave., just nosing around. We saw several tables sitting out on the walk outside a place up on the south side of Salas, but I didn't recognize the place. It was called La Casita de Indio, and I had not seen it before. It looked like your typical local hangout, nothing special to recommend it. Judy was sort of intrigued, however, and the owner/head cook Indio came out to greet us. Judy was still feeling beat, however, and she said "all I really want is some good soup. Do you have that?" Indio said "Chicken soup? Beef soup? Whatever you want, I will make it for you." Judy said "Chicken soup sounds good. How do you make it?" He said "Some rice, some potato, some tomato, some onion, I will take care of you." So we sat out at one of his tables and he went in to make her some chicken soup. I looked at their rather small menu, and ordered a pork chimichanga. Then he came out with that soup for Judy, and my jaw dropped. Here was a large bowl of chicken soup with all the above mentioned ingredients plus more, and that stock never came out of an envelope or can, let me tell you. This was the real article, and sitting on top of all that soup was about 1/3 of a nicely roasted chicken in all it's glory. Judy was ecstatic. "This is exactly what I needed" she said, and fell to work on it. My chimichanga also came, and it was about twice the size I thought it would be and was loaded. I had to take half of it back to the hotel. And the cost? This dinner, with two large bottles of soda, came to the princely sum of $12 US. Amazing. We went back two days later, (with Judy feeling considerably better) and this time she ordered the grilled shrimp and I had the beef fajitas. Judy's shrimp came first, and it was a large plate with the usual rice, beans, and salad, with about 6 nicely sized and grilled shrimp. Not so much for 120 pesos, I thought, but then I tried one of her shrimp and was amazed at the flavor. I don't think I have had better shrimp anywhere. So I accepted the deal as it was presented, when over walks the cook with another plate. Here were about 10 more of those wonderful shrimp! "Not enough room on the grill to cook all at once" he says, what with my fajitas which were also processing. Wow! And the fajitas were excellent also, although not as sublime as those garlic grilled shrimp... So, that is my story. Indio says he has only been there 6 months, and I promised him I would say something here about his place. See what you think. Woody

true the menu changed but yvonne has not gone back to the states. her homes here. i do hope they go back to the old menu with more options. i thought the new menu was just for xmas andnew years but i was wrong.

I mentioned this in the Cozumel 4 You facebook group, and it started a conversation. Yvonne came in to the conversation and, I thought was doing a nice job of listening to the requests of the people involved in the conversation. Unfortunately, the entire conversation was deleted. I have started a new group called Cozumel 4 Us, where people can discuss things of interest without censorship. Please join, and share the page with anyone who might be interested. http://www.facebook.com/groups/127454950755936/

Last edited by a moderator:
MMM....did you have the shrimp?!

MMM....did you have the shrimp?!
No we just ate the free stuff they brought us, which included ceviche, deep fried lobster and lion fish, some kind of spicy octopus pieces, and soup. Probably other stuff amongst beer and more beer.

I mentioned this in the Cozumel 4 You facebook group, and it started a conversation. Yvonne came in to the conversation and, I thought was doing a nice job of listening to the requests of the people involved in the conversation. Unfortunately, the entire conversation was deleted and I was removed from the group. I have started a new group called Cozumel 4 Us, where people can discuss things of interest without censorship. Please join, and share the page with anyone who might be interested.http://www.facebook.com/groups/127454950755936/

I recently had a disappointing meal at Guido’s with my divers. I have always been a huge fan of Guido’s and will continue to be – because I am convinced this was an off night and/or a misunderstanding of what I ordered. I ALWAYS order whatever the fresh catch is prepared in whatever way they are offering it, however - rather than order what I THOUGHT was a calorie laden preparation, I asked Yvonne if I could simply have the fish grilled with a side of vegetables. Sure, absolutely she said!

When my meal came, I was disappointed to see a side of vegetables that looked like garnishes – which is in fact what they were as I now know. The waiter had misunderstood and did not communicate properly to the chef. When my plate came, I did ask the waiter if that was my side of vegetables, but clearly he didn’t understand me and said “yes, those are the vegetables.” Rather than argue with him or seek further explanation - I just ate what was there and tried to contact the owner later to let her know about the disappointing experience.

I sent Yvonne a personal message through facebook and tried to talk to her at the restaurant, but did not get in touch with her. The wonderful ending to this story is that I received a personal call from the owner apologizing for the bad night and that she values mine (and everyone’s) business. It is not the bad nights in the restaurant that matter, but how they are followed up on and handled – so I appreciate this.

Guido’s has always been one of my favorites, and it remains in my top three favorites! Thank you Yvonne for caring and for continuing to give us a great dining option on the island!

No we just ate the free stuff they brought us, which included ceviche, deep fried lobster and lion fish, some kind of spicy octopus pieces, and soup. Probably other stuff amongst beer and more beer.

Free?! Besides being free and the free-flowing beer (I sense a theme!), how was it?

Free?! Besides being free and the free-flowing beer (I sense a theme!), how was it?

It was a fun way to pass an afternoon. Although perhaps the beer might have flowed a bit more freely than was good for everyone in the party. :blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom