Best mask anti-fog / de-fog ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeremy Bouwman:
I heard that spit eventually is bad for the silicone on the mask so commercial de-foggers are better. Is this total BS? I have no idea
Saliva has also been found to cause cancer in lab animals. But only if ingested in small amounts over a long period of time.

goannn Iknow...

Jeremy Bouwman:
I heard that spit eventually is bad for the silicone on the mask so commercial de-foggers are better. Is this total BS? I have no idea
That sounds like "total BS" to me. Did you hear that from someone who was selling commercial de-foggers?

Spit doesn't work for me. I guess I have weak spit. I use the stuff in the white bottle with the orange cap. I don't remember what it is called.

spit works ok for me but I use that as a last resort....like if my mask is starting to fog up right before I go under. I have used the baby shampoo water mixture and its hit or miss. Maybe I am washing it out too much. If I use a commercial de-fogger am i suppose to fully wash it out?

Yep, use it straight. You may also need to use a bit more than you have been. I found by trial & error that one of my masks just works better when I put a bit more on it.

I'm spoiled and partial to "500 PSI" defog goo available at my LDS. Few bucks a bottle, smear and wash... after the dive it dries out and turns white so spit and reuse or put more on. Toothpaste and shampoo hun? Cool.

Baby shampoo is the best defogger for me.

Just dilute it with water and store it in a water bottle. When you’re ready to dive, put it on the mask for five minutes. After five minutes or so, just throw away the excess liquid, don’t rinse it immediately. I usually put it on after I’m in the water, so it gets bit of rinsing that way.

Plus the bonus is that it also smells really nice.

Shrugs, this defogger has worked exceptionally well for me…….after aggravating tries of multiple commercial products which barely even worked.

And no, I've never tried the spit idea, nor am I ever going to. That is just so gross!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom