Best Marine Life Books?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ishie

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all!

I'm chomping at the bit to get going for my trip to Dumaguete! First diving in water warmer than California's chilly seas!

I'm a taxonomy junkie, so I'm wondering if anyone has good recommendations for good (under 50$) books on identification of various species. I have an Indo-Pacific invertebrates guide that seems pretty good, but I'm lost on where to start for fish, and it looks like you guys have some great ones.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Ishie:
Hi all!

I'm chomping at the bit to get going for my trip to Dumaguete! First diving in water warmer than California's chilly seas!

I'm a taxonomy junkie, so I'm wondering if anyone has good recommendations for good (under 50$) books on identification of various species. I have an Indo-Pacific invertebrates guide that seems pretty good, but I'm lost on where to start for fish, and it looks like you guys have some great ones.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!
Reef Fish Identification - Tropical Pacific by Gerald Allen, Roger Steene, Paul Humann and Ned Deloach is a good one. Bought it at Barnes and Noble, Chicago. You may want to try Ebay too.

"Marine Fishes of South-East Asia" by Gery Allen

...is a comprehensive (1635 species), well organized and handy reference. I bought this field guide several years ago and I don't remember exactly how much it cost - but it was surely less than 50$. I hope you can still find it.

What book do you have on invertebrates? I'm looking for one myself.

Alino PM, Miclat EFB, Nanola CL Jr, Roa-Quiaouit HA and Campos, RT. 2002. Atlas of Philippine coral reefs. Goodwill Trading Co., Inc. Manila, Philippines.

will pm to you an e-mail address on how you can order :D

iris_ice:
Alino PM, Miclat EFB, Nanola CL Jr, Roa-Quiaouit HA and Campos, RT. 2002. Atlas of Philippine coral reefs. Goodwill Trading Co., Inc. Manila, Philippines.

will pm to you an e-mail address on how you can order :D

I like this one. I frequently pick it up when I'm in the MSI library to identify some of the corals I see when diving.

PS Hayao Miyazaki rules!

Back
Top Bottom