Best Inherently Sealed Regulator for Cold/Warm Diving

Best Reg?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LoadedScuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello! I am new to diving, but I want to start getting my own gear. I am looking to just put a package together, and first things first is the regulator.. There are so many it is impossible to even begin. I was looking at the Scubapro MK25 S620, or Zeagle F8. Then someone suggested a Atomic instead. With that in mind, what do you guys is the best regulator for under $800? I am very indecisive when it comes to picking out gear.. as I just want what people feel is the best.

My Dive Conditions are anywhere from Oceans, to Lakes, to Quarries. The water temp ranges from cold to warm, but nothing below 40F. The water quality depends. Sometimes the local quarry (Dutch Springs) is top notch.. and sometimes algae and such floats all over.

Thank you so much!!

Last edited:
The Atomic is a solid regulator but is a balanced piston first stage -- not inherently sealed.
Do you think it is important to be inherently sealed if I stay on top of my service?

Can you describe more of the dive conditions you expect and anything you've liked in regs you've tried already?

Sadly, I have only tried 3.. and they have all been Aqualung. One had a small air free flow which I definitely hated :(

If your primary concern is about it being sealed then I would recommend a diaphragm reg over a piston. Apeks/Aqua Lung are great at diaphragms. Scubapro also has them (I believe it's the MK17 as one of the options) but it is my opinion that Scubapro's strength is in their piston first stages. There is nothing wrong with their diaphragms. My understanding is that piston regs can also be sealed but the manner in which they are sealed are not as good as a diaphragm. I will let someone else with technical knowledge and workings of a first stage to give you the proper terminology and explanation. :)

Most of my diving is in warm water/vacation diving but when I do dive locally, I am in cold water (mid 40's and up) and viz can be pretty bad - less than a few feet. I like having a diaphragm reg - it does well in warm water but is also great for silty/colder water. I also like having the environmental seal design of a diaphragm.

Last edited:
What prompted you to specify "inherently sealed" in the first place? Tell us more about the conditions you plan to dive in.
I just liked the idea that it was sealed and protected the internal parts from contanaments. I dive locally in Dutch Springs which is a Spring fed Quarry. The temperature ranges from 60-75 on the surface but thermocline is drastic with the bottom being a steady 40. I do plan on diving in the ocean, especially on vacation like my upcoming trip in Cozumel.

Inherently sealed, double hose like the Argonaut Kraken, I prefer piston first stages for single hose diving and atomic can be bought sealed, I seal mine (Atomics) if they aren’t already. There aren’t really any bad regulators just some that are harder to tune/repair and get parts for, go with the best deal.

The Sherwood dry bleed system, or whatever they call it now, environmentally seals the reg. I have had one since '80, and although I upgraded to a newer model, I still use it on my pony bottle since it was so reliable.

I would recommend the Blizzard, as that is what I am using now, but I haven't used it down to 40 degrees.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom