Best Housing for Oly C-Series Digicams?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RocketOtter

Reaction score
Bay Area, CA, North American, Earth, Sol System, M
Howdy Gang,

a newbie here hoping to get some sagascious advice on the best housings for an Oly C-Series Digicam. I've seen alot in ads in the back of various mags but would like to hear the real deal from folks who know by actual experience. Thanks. :)

Hi RocketOtter,

IMHO the Best housing for the Olympus DigiCams are the Tetra housings made by Light and Motion. They are very rugged cast aluminum and the controls and functions are very easy to use. Mine get's banged up a lot and has always performed flawlessly.

Unfortunately, they are also very expensive. There are some other housings that are much more popular ( and less expensive) , that work very well.

Boydski

Another choice is Olympus' own PT-010, made by Olympus for one of it's own cameras. All camera controls are available. I've been using it for about 6 months and couldn't be happier. It's clear so the internal camera flash is usuable, making a strobe purchase not necessary in order to use the camera. Strobe attachment is via a fiber optic cable system. I use a Sea & Sea YS90-DX.

Some think the 30m depth rating is a drawback but I have had mine to 40m+ with no problems. And I usually take photos well above that limit anyway. And at around $300 (shipping included) it's a great bargain. I've found it to be extremely hardy, despite the toy-like look of it!

PT010_big.jpg

An excellent source...Underwater Digital

Dee,

If you don't mind sharing....what was your total price of camera, housing, strobe?

Originally posted by TexasMike
Dee,

If you don't mind sharing....what was your total price of camera, housing, strobe?

When I bought mine last Dec. I paid....

Oly C-4040z camera....$729 (Houston Camera Exchange)
Oly PT-010 case..........$ 293 (Japan direct)
S&S YS90-DX strobe
w/ fiber optic cnn.........$525 (Underwater Digital)

for a total of $1547. I spent another $100 apprx. on a MAHA batteries charger with 2 sets of batteries, and two 128mg Smart Media cards. I was ready to go.

The camera price is down around $500 online now.

Dee,

How did you get an entire picture on the thread--cool!

Being only mildly computer literate, I have no idea how.

Regards,

Larry Stein

You have to have the photo on a website, like one of the photo hosting sites or in this case I copied the properties from that picture on Underwater Digitals web page. Just underneath the smileys up above, there is a IMG button. Click it and enter the picture's URL.

That's all there is to it!

Dee & RocketOtter.

Thanks-that's really cool.

Larry Stein

Back
Top Bottom