Best Housing for Oly C-Series Digicams?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To all,
Thanks for the clarifications!!
I've now got more info to consider, and it's becoming clear that each potential housing/strobe has its strong points. I've got to re-read these posts, and others, check out safew more Manf. sites for specs, and decide. I'll let you know what happens.
Again, thanks for the help, and if you or any other folks have input, uggestions, etc., please chime in.
Thanks ,
Mike

For the location of his dives, the Tetra is definately the best choice. Most of my diving is warm water local and warm water Caribbean diving. Thankfully I don't have rocky shorelines to deal with, just slippery boat decks!

The PT-010 does have a depth rating of 30m but I've had mine well below that, as have others I know, with no problems. I read somewhere on the 'net that it actually tested to 250ft. but you know what they say about believing everything you read!

Bottom line is Olympus, Tetra and Iklelite are all excellent housings..each with their own strengths and weakness'.

there's also the FIX4040 housing from Fish Eye. The FIX4040 is designed for the Oly Cseries and is depth rated by Fish Eye @60m/200 feet. Strobe application is SLAVE via fiber optic cable. The front body is painted and the back door is frost clear with full access to the camera's control via mechanical buttons. It also comes with a LCD shade [good for shallow dives] as well as an integrated t-plate mount on top of the housing. You can use the t-plate to mount a target or focus light. The FIX4040 housing is also compatible with the INON, Sea and Sea & Olympus wide and macro add on lens.

fix%204040%20ys25dx.jpg

FIX4040 with a Sea and Sea YS25DX mounted right on the t-plate.

fisheye%20setup.jpg

FIX4040 setup with 2 Sea and Sea YS90Dx strobe

hope this helps..

Hi to all,
After much reading, thought, and a ton of help from the folks on this board, I realized that, while all of the various configurations suggested by you had merit, a decision had to be made. My choices:
(Dee, I think that this setup is very similar to what you have. as such, I'll probably have a bunch of "new equip" questions. )

Olympus PT-010 housing
Sea&Sea YS90DX Strobe with the fiber optic cable kit
Fisheye 1 armed tray

For the following reasons: (You probably will recognize some of your own input ! ) :)

The OLY, because I am a "warm water boat diver", and will only occasionally pass the 100' mark while taking pictures. Also, due to the clear "plastic" nature of the housing, I can use the "internal flash" as needed. Also, given the depth considerations, cost was a factor.

The YS90DX strobe, because I can also use it with my MM2-EX, with the regular sync cord.

The tray, because that as recommended by "Allen" from Underwater Digital, where I placed the order. :)

Again, thanks to all for your help, I'll let you know how things turn out.
Good Luck,
Miked

It's exactly what I have! You're gonna love it. The learning curve with digital isn't nearly as steep as it was for the MMII...thank goodness.

Let me know if I can confuse you any further! :wink:

Dee, I think I sent you a PM, with questions about velcro placement, but I can't be sure that I hit the right keys to get it to you.
Hopefully,iIdid it correctly. If not , I'll try again via a post.

Thanks,
Mike

Sent you a reply....You're correct!

I'll take pictures and send you a link to the pictures of it all in the morning.

Undrwtr1 or anyone else who wants to advise....any suggestions on where to look for that Ikelite housing????

So whats your rating of the Ike????? I too am looking for that "perfect" housing for a 3040. I really dont feel like empting the bank account for the Tetra ... even though it looks like a very good housing and I'm sure it is. But in the same breath I think I need something with a little more depth rating than the Olympus....as I want this for travel but more so for use in the Northeast...Additionally I guess I'm using similar thought process as boydski with the Tetra. I dont know, as I've never had any of them in my hands, but the Ike looks pretty rugged and from the looks of this pic also close in size to the Olympus.

p10_6130big.jpg

I'm sure that the camera will never be down to 200 feet but that gives me a little more confidence that at 120 she'll be fine.

That being said......

Does anyone know of or have any comments on the benefits/disadvantages of the Ikelite strobe setup vs the S&S ???(DS-50 with slave vs S&S YS90-DX w/fiber optic slave)?????

Oh yeah.......What about lenses????? If you could only get one which would you go for first ....Wide Angle or Macro?????

I'm thinking a Wide angle for chasing some of the monsters of the deep:blfish: :monst:

Thank you in advance for your help!!!!:wink:

Scott

Scott,

In reply to your request - I bought my housing at B&H photo in Manhattan. bhphotovideo.com. Their price was reasonable and I was able to run in and pick it up. I liked the DS50 substrobe because of its size. And. with the digital slave sensor, I got true TTL flash capability - with pre-flash and all. The only thing I am planning on changing is an upgrade to Ultralight strobe arms and a second DS50.

Good luck!!

Gerry

Scott,

ALmost forgot - I would try the wide angle first. The Ike housing allows wet attachable lenses from Inon and Sea and Sea.

All the best!!

Gerry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom