Best hoods for long hair?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arenny

Contributor
Reaction score
I dive in Monterey and I need a warm hood that won't pull and break my long hair, I just bought a drysuit so something that would go with it. Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!!

My hair is long, and I wear a full hood, about 5mm. The only thing about it is that it messes up my mask seal sometimes and makes my mask leak. My husband has a beanie, which just covers his head and ears, not the chin. I have worn it a time or two while diving, and it works fairly well. I don't know how cold the water is where you dive, but I dive in the FL springs a lot and the water temp there is low to mid
60's, so the full hood is ideal. In the warmer waters in summer, I don't wear a hood. But I will share a secret with you that works, no matter if you wear a hood or not. If you will pull your hair back at the base of your neck with a ponytail holder, then put several more hair elastics on your ponytail, one about every 2 inches or so, that will keep it from becoming tangled and getting in your face while diving. Try it if you haven't already! Also, with the full hood, it is tight enough to hold your hair in and fits inside the wetsuit, hair and all. I'm not sure that would work with a dry siut though. I don't know much about them. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I want to dive more but didn't know what to do about the hair :) not cutting it off!

I wear a Henderson microprene hooded vest under my wetsuit. In addition to extra warmth, my hair can hang below the back of the hood inside the vest and out of the way. Sometimes I wear it with just a swimsuit. Its very thin and It would maybe be slightly warmer than a beanie(?). I like it better than a thick hood because its stretchier. Not really sure how much warmer it is than other options, but I'm satisfied with it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom