Best go pro style camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I want to know what separates the Hero 5 Black from the 4+ Black???

Here's some other stuff: voice control, video stabilization, a RAW photo format, automatic GPS tagging, and automatic uploading to the new GoPro Plus cloud service.

The fact that it's waterproof is a plus even though you'll still need the Super Suit for diving. My GP4 Silver housing cracked at the base and lightly flooded and destroyed the GP4 on my second dive of the day. My best guess is it was crushed by a larger camera in the rinse tank. Not sure how the GPS will work underwater.

We shall compare notes in Bonaire over a beverage Pete.
In the meantime, this was shot in the Socorros from 60 to 130' using the shallow filter by Backscatter...

I believe the biggest differences are that the 5 does not require a waterproof case
Down to 30'.
Here's some other stuff: voice control, video stabilization, a RAW photo format, automatic GPS tagging, and automatic uploading to the new GoPro Plus cloud service.
Of all those things, the stabilization intrigues me most. I sometimes helmet mount when I'm in a cave and that would be nice. None of my helmet footage has been usable to this point.
So, how are the batteries? Do they last any longer?

In the meantime, this was shot in the Socorros from 60 to 130' using the shallow filter by Backscatter...

I still stand by what I said :D ... I do enjoy the FlipX.Y system however ...

Is it January yet???

_R

I read that some GP5's actually leak. So to be safe just put the suit on
I've heard the same... I see it as insurance. I had a friend whose Olympus slipped out of it's case on a night dive. It was 'safe' to 15 ft. We found it about 80 ft down, and brought it up without touching a button. It was fine on the surface. So, it just adds some protection when the housing floods.

I don't do much ....

1/ trim out the bad parts
2/ put it in 2.35:1 aspect (vs 16:9)
3/ make the green or blue cast look not green or blue
4/ sometimes a little bit of stabilization
5/ add in an intro and an outro and some tunes
6/ Tweak
7/ Upload
8/ Tweak again
9/ Re Upload
10/ Repeat 8-9 repeatedly for years

Attached is a screen grab from the colour grade (not that there is much colour from this video to start with .....)

_R

I tried using a deep red filter at about 60-70 feet and it was so red that none of the video was usable. I tried reducing the red with software and it still looked awful. What editing software are you using?

I'm also just beginning to learn the ins and outs of what happens when you transfer from one media to another. I found the higher resolution way to put it on YouTube but it still loses resolution. When I make a DVD with Movie Maker it loses a lot of resolution if I do it the regular way but looks a lot better if I use the HD option however I can only get up to about 36 minutes of video on a disc and this is not consistent even though they are all shot at 720/60 fps so after waiting 2 hours for it to convert the videos it tells me there is not enough room on the disc (sometimes)!

I cut down a light red filter and installed it in place of the clear port. I did this to avoid such problems as salt crystals and bubbles on the filter plus it seems to eliminate glare from reflections. I also painted the inside of the housing black in an attempt to eliminate glare that seemed to be coming through the case. This is all fine except that now I'm having a problem with the Start/Stop function at depth which must be due to a tiny bit of added thickness to the inside of the housing. I'm pretty sure I didn't get any paint on the control.

I use the shallow filter at all depths. It works well except for the shallowest depths like Blue Heron Bridge.

Nice footage Pete! A question - if people are using lights, do you get the red light saber effect with the filter?

Back
Top Bottom