Best Full-Foot fins for pool & tropics?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Buano

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm looking for a pair of full-foot fins for pool work, snorkeling & tropical diving. I have 2 pairs of open-heel fins but want a full-foot set so I won't ruin boots in the pool. So far I'm leaning towards the: Mares Avanti Superchannel Full-Foot or the New Mares Quattro Power Full Foot Fins. Sadly, I haven't had a chance to dive with either. Thoughts all?

abf.jpg
Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Bio-Fin UNI
If you can find them! Discontinued by Apollo!

I have had good experience with the Mares Avanti. Can't say anything about the new quattro pro. I have an old pair of quattro pros. Great fins, but they are very still, more noticeably so that my Avantis.

Your message indicates that you have open heel fins but don't want to use them for pool swimming. I assume that you swim laps and practice in the pool as I do. Have you considered a pair of swim fins for pool work, although cost-wise you may find either of the fins you mention above would give you more utility than just a pair of swim fins.

You probably already know the Quattro Powers are much bigger fins. Nice in the open water, but need attention in tighter places, plus more room when packing.

All I wear is full foot fins. (South Florida) I have the Quattro Power fins and they are a heavy wide fin with a little more length than your standard full foot. These fins would be good for training in the pool even though they are a little cumbersome in the pool. That way when you get to your tropical dive spot you are ready to go and most likely lead the pack.
For strictly pool stuff I might look at the Volo Race fins. They review well.
FYI: I now freedive and scuba with Cressi Gara 3000's. Quattro Powers are my backup.

I have really liked my Mares Volo Race fins... and occassionally you can find them onsale at a decent price as well.

I've started playing Underwater Hockey recently and the consensus seems to be that the Mares Avanti HP are as good or better then the super channels and cheaper. The Quattro Power are the choice for a lot of the top players who can handle a large fin.

Underwater Hockey - Equipment - Fin Reviews

I got a pair of each and found that they tend to run larger then the size shows.

I'm size 14 (13.5 to be exact) narrow. The 11-12 Avanti HP fits me just right. The 9.5-10.5 (largest size they make) Quattro Power is a little tight for me, but only because my toes stick out a bit.

My wife dives with the Avanti Tre. She purchased one size larger then needed and wares them over the Pinnacle Stealth Fin Sock which has a nice rubber sole for shore entries. With a little silicon they slide right on.

Pinnacle Stealth Fin Sock 3mm

For a contact sport like underwater hockey, it's a pity that the choice of full-foot fin blade material appears to be narrowing and that the only all-rubber fins on the list, Technisub Alas, are so hard to find, not least, of course, because of discontinued production.

I see that the New Zealanders have solved this problem by substituting another all-rubber fin, the Japanese-made Gull Hard Mew:
800220.jpg
GULL HARD MEW FIN - Full Foot Fins - Fins - Recreational Diving - Splash

Sadly, and surprisingly considering Japan's continued dependence on exports in the current credit crunch, Gull doesn't export to the West, but it may be possible to obtain a pair through the New Zealand distributor. I have a pair and I use them regularly when snorkelling in the North Sea here in England.

If you dive from the shore especially in the tropics you should always wear Open Heel fins with Booties as there are lots of things lurking around in the water that can really spoil your day if you tread on them!

Full-foot fins don't always have to be worn barefoot. They can be used with socks or booties as long as their foot pockets are spacious enough to accommodate them. This was common practice in Europe in the 1960s and 1970s when full-foot fins were the norm. Full-foot Bio Fins UNI are even sized to be worn over socks or booties.

Back
Top Bottom