Best First Dive Comp under $700?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vyper air is going for $525 at Leisurepro. With a free transmitter it is a very good deal for people who want AI hoseless.

Forgetting about the AI and/or hoseless debate, there are people who want and like the feature and for them, this is a good deal. As far as I know, this is about the least expensive AI hoseless computer and transmitter package out there.

It's a Suunto computer....

Here is an alternative that has some unique features, will save you a few bucks, and is the exclusive computer for the Navy EOD and SEAL teams :losecool:

EMC-20H with Analyst 4.01 Pro $600.00
3FO2 / 2PO2HE with 1450 Hours Memory
Cochran Undersea Technology

Cochran Undersea Technology

Order directly from headquarters in Richardson, TX

Any questions please contact sales@DiveCochran.com or call 972-644-6284 USA / +34 618 878 620 EU

Last edited:
John, playing devils advocate

So you're at $600, currently $160 lower than the petrel.

Less gas mixes than the petrel. Screen is still casio watch style instead of LCD, uses N cell batteries which no one uses anymore instead of AA's, has to have USB upload instead of bluetooth, does have a flight tracker but not sure how useful that is in real life, can apparently switch between fresh/salt which is nice but again not sure of how useful it actually is. Not sure how the button layout is because you only show a frontal view, and the touchless gas switching is nifty, but not sure how useful in real life.

Real question is why would I sacrifice the infinitely better screen of the Petrel and now a digital compass for your computer?

Alternatively, why should I buy yours over say a Nitek Q at the same price point with a better screen, more gasses for technical diving, digital compass, and rechargeable battery?

Other alternative, same price, xDeep Black. Essentially same price, much nicer screen, digital compass, though you lose trimix at that price

Other alternative is save $50, go with a TX1 from Hollis which has more gasses, similar screen, digital compass, air integration, etc?

be very careful making claims like that when you are competing against some very powerful computers.... You are offering essentially two "gimmick" features in the salt/fresh auto switch *those computers are all programmable for fresh vs. salt and no harder to change than switching a gas mix*, and the flight tracker, but you're using a non-standard battery, don't have a depth compensating strap option, don't offer as many gas mixes for technical divers, and are playing in the same price ballpark and you are using a screen that is destroyed when you look at it next to a Petrel.

5021XXXXX.jpghqdefault.jpg

Even if it had all of the features of the Petrel, I think everyone here would pay the extra $150 just for the screen.... You could make that claim if you were playing in the $350 arena, but the harsh reality is you are bringing nothing to the game at the $600-$800 price point that is meaningful, and you are coming up far too short in too many categories to even be considered worth looking at, heaven forbid the best deal on the market period.

Let's be real, you have a decade old computer design at a brand new computer price. How can I say that? The Shearwater Predator was released at the end of 2009, and you are presenting something more similar to it's predecessor the Pursuit/GF which was released in 2006....

John, playing devils advocate

So you're at $600, currently $160 lower than the petrel.

Less gas mixes than the petrel. Screen is still casio watch style instead of LCD, uses N cell batteries which no one uses anymore instead of AA's, has to have USB upload instead of bluetooth, does have a flight tracker but not sure how useful that is in real life, can apparently switch between fresh/salt which is nice but again not sure of how useful it actually is. Not sure how the button layout is because you only show a frontal view, and the touchless gas switching is nifty, but not sure how useful in real life.

Real question is why would I sacrifice the infinitely better screen of the Petrel and now a digital compass for your computer?

Alternatively, why should I buy yours over say a Nitek Q at the same price point with a better screen, more gasses for technical diving, digital compass, and rechargeable battery?

Other alternative, same price, xDeep Black. Essentially same price, much nicer screen, digital compass, though you lose trimix at that price

Other alternative is save $50, go with a TX1 from Hollis which has more gasses, similar screen, digital compass, air integration, etc?

be very careful making claims like that when you are competing against some very powerful computers.... You are offering essentially two "gimmick" features in the salt/fresh auto switch *those computers are all programmable for fresh vs. salt and no harder to change than switching a gas mix*, and the flight tracker, but you're using a non-standard battery, don't have a depth compensating strap option, don't offer as many gas mixes for technical divers, and are playing in the same price ballpark and you are using a screen that is destroyed when you look at it next to a Petrel.

View attachment 211150View attachment 211151

Even if it had all of the features of the Petrel, I think everyone here would pay the extra $150 just for the screen....
Above and beyond all of that, it uses a unique algorithm that doesn't have the reputation or acceptance in the tech community....which is, after all, the most important part of a computer.

I figured I'd be nice and leave that glaring issue out in case the algorithm is actually good. You can change the programming of that thing a helluva lot easier than you can change the straight up hardware issues it has to compete in this game.

Sorry John, this is like bringing a candy cane shiv to WWII....

Thank you tbone1004, victorzamora and I'm sure many more to come on your honest opinions about Cochran computers.

I agree that our screen isn't cool looking (eLED) but our clientele doesn't want to be seen on their missions.

With that said, Cochran is the exclusive provider to the U.S. Navy and its dive computers are Approved for Military Use (“AMU&#8221:wink: listed and its dive computers are being used by other international Navies and have NATO part numbers.

The keyword is "exclusive" and none of the other companies mention can say that.

The USN can use any computer they want and there are many great computers available but the fact is they dive our computers only!

If your all tired of the Cochran EMC family please take a look at our NEW Lifeguard family of computers at Cochran Military

What ever computer you dive please continue to explore, have fun and be safe.

Have a great day!

Safe Diving
John

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom