Best First Dive Comp under $700?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

actually Shearwater provides the controllers for the rebreathers being used by the navy, so there is that....

So how does exclusive provider to the USN allow you to make the claim of best deal period? The military chooses weird stuff for some of their projects, both Victor and I work for suppliers for the military and have been involved in a lot of design projects for their gear. The point is your computer brings literally nothing to the table at the price point that can even remotely be considered a "deal"? That term implies that you are providing similar functionality at a reduced cost, or more functionality at the same, the issue is you are providing less functionality at the same cost. Quality computer? maybe, never used one. Deal if it was $300? Probably, you guys are making insane margins on those computers selling them for $600, don't try to deny it, you are using decade old technology, its cheap. There's nothing saying it is low quality, just very inexpensive, but don't try to say that you're "Hands down, the best deal period" when you have literally nothing other than an exclusive contract with the USN to make that statement.

You are the same price, you have less features, you have an inferior screen, you use an inferior battery, you do not offer a depth compensating strap. You have two gimmicks which are altitude tracking and salinity compensation, sure useful for the military when they may be flying immediately in a helicopter and jumping into brackish water but 3% is pretty inconsequential since the military does not normally dive all that deep, and even then you have to get down to 300ft before the 3% is really significant. I'm not bashing the computer, I'm commenting on your very bold statement with nothing to back it up.

I do welcome you to explain the features that make your computer a deal and why we should consider it over the Hollis TX1 with a lower price, same screen, and more features, or the Nitek Q with a better screen, more features, and same price, or the Petrel with a lot more features, an incredible screen, and a price that is only $150 more.

Hey tbone, it's important for some divers that they not be seen during missions. That's why a :censored:ty screen that would embarrass an outdated piece of bargain basement junk like a Luna is actually an advantage.

Best. Deal. Period.:rofl3:

I do welcome you to explain the features that make your computer a deal and why we should consider it .

Thats easy....Some people like to pretend they are Navy Seals when they dive.

And some rec divers like to pretend they are tec divers. :wink:

I hear putting the Galileo into deco qualifies one as a tech diver.
[video=youtube;YmqWSbJRrOI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmqWSbJRrOI[/video]

Hey tbone, it's important for some divers that they not be seen during missions. That's why a :censored:ty screen that would embarrass an outdated piece of bargain basement junk like a Lunais actually an advantage.

Best. Deal. Period.:rofl3:

I like the way you say it

USB upload instead of bluetooth
That one might be considered an actual plus if you're paranoid and familiar with wireless security. I fully expect they are using it because it takes 20 years to get a new thing past procurement rules and certifications, but still...

I am having second thoughts about the petrel 2 I ordered (arriving tomorrow). I could have purchased an Aeris A300 CS for slightly less. I think having AI would be nice to have the convince and reassurance my spg is working properly. Is the petrel 2 that much better than the A300 cs?

yes it is, but if you're concerned, you can always return it. If I was going AI I'd go for one of the Seabears either the T1 or H3 which are priced right in there with the Aeris at msrp. What was the price you were offered for the 300 and is it with or without transmitter? Is supposed to be $950 without, $1300 with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom