? Best Fins for injured hip?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trish_nyc

Reaction score
I've torn my hip labrum - but, I'm still leaving for a dive trip to Fiji in 1 week. So, I'd like to buy a new pair of fins that may help reduce the strain on my hip.

I've been given various suggestions - but, thought I'd ask the ScubaBoard for more advice. What do you think are the best fins for my injured hip?

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.

Definitely split fins. I suffer from cramps and use the Scubapro Twinjets. They offer very little resistance yet provide decent propulsion. Downside is you can't do any other kicks aside from the basic kick.

APS Mantarays (Deepoutdoors Sixgills) also offer very little resistance while providing decent propulsion, are great for travel (light and short) and are good for all types of kicks.
Good Luck, Coqui Diver.

you might also try a diffrent kicking style. Flutter kicks stress your hip joint in one direction. Frog kicks in the other. See which is less taxing on your hip. Could save you a lot of cash.

I would highly recommend following the Handicaped divers recommend. ForceFin in the Original Polyurethane material. Give them a shot and you will be very happy.

Bob Evans- the owner and designer of the FF line works very closely with the IAHD to help develop fins that best meet their needs. If someone who doesn't have the leg strength to walk can use them, then I am sure that your injured hip will be just fine.

I saw your post and immediately thought of Force Fins. I used them for years and they worked great for me

Deepoutdoors Sixgills also offer very little resistance while providing decent propulsion, are great for travel (light and short) and are good for all types of kicks.
Good Luck, Coqui Diver.
Another vote for Deep Outdoors sixgills. Oddly, I could never get used to any split fins because of their limitations with quick turns. The sixgills are superb and I've done nearly 100 dives with my pair.

I would defo recommend Force Fins. I had back surgery and have ordered pro force fins and excellerating force fins. If my back is playing up I will use the Pro's.

I tried a pair for a dive in the Red Sea recently and could not believe how easy they are to use. They would be perfect for someone with a hip problem as you kick differently with them. Basically you flutter kick with bent legs so you are kicking really with the lower part of your leg only. For a much better description of this kick go to the force fin website and watch the demo videos.

It is amazing how easy the Pro force fins are on all joints and how effective they are. You get the gain without the pain.

One thing to note. You do need to think differently with these fins as most people equate effort with effectiveness.

These fins get you through the water with the minimum of effort...

the Aqualung Slingshots are a good option too, since you can set the fin on your good leg to a higher resistance while reducing the one one on your bad leg.

Regards

Francois

For no strain or pain:

Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Split Fins

The Bio-Fin pro model has been the benchmark for fins with good propulsion and no strain.

The leading and trailing edges on the all natural rubber fin provide thrust and effort free diving.
A small and easy kick relieves stress in all conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom