Best fins for current dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I changed from my 18 year old Lightning Jets to a pair if Split Fin Jets. After getting caught in a "small" current in the Caymans I can honestly say that I will never dive with a set of split fins again EVER. The old jets are heavy, can cause leg fatigue but when you need that extra umph in a current it is there, just not there with splits I don't care what kick technique you use.

Ahh, the Jet crowd!

Can someone explain the physics as to why a top performing fin becomes useless in current? My Biofins work VERY well in current. Better in fact than any of the fins others were using including Jets... Maybe it was my Arnold like quads, or Phelps like kicking style? :blinking:

I have a hard time figuring this out. It may have something to do with the fact that Biofins perform very well anyway, and current does not somehow defy the laws of physics..... Just my thoughts.

So in all of this talk about the jet fins being the end all solution for diving (unless you don't have strong legs) where is the advice for tiny little divers like me with tiny feet who need to keep up in the current? I tried a pair of open heel jet fins once (I had to wear sneakers in order for them to fit) and it didn't work. I'm using a pair of Mares Plana Avantis (open heel, XS) with a pair of hard soled booties and home-made neoprene ankle wraps (the arms of an old wetsuit) that make the heel straps stay on, and I have to say it's the first time I've ever been able to wear real fins as I wear a kids size 2 shoe and I am having pretty good luck. I can keep up with all of my friends and get some fairly decent speed, until current hits. If I even think about current the fins become practically useless and I turn into the helpless first time diver who has to be carried back to the dive platform, literally. Not only is this not safe, it's embarrassing!

So, my question is, ***?!?!? Now that I know that I can use XS open heel fins with the help of some neoprene, where should I look next so that I can actually propel myself through the water?

Wow, I just noticed that it blocked something I wrote, it wasn't even supposed to be expletive. I'll replace the *** with, WHAT ON EARTH AM I SUPPOSED TO DO?!?!!?!?!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom