Best fin for propulsion small foot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uncfnp

Solo Diver
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Ok, apologies for yet another fin recommendation but a SB search has left be spinning with all the options.

I am a vertically challenged female with small feet. I currently have Mares Avanti Quattro and am overall very pleased. But I find when diving in anything more than a light current I have trouble keeping up with my buddy (not too surprising) but more problematicly, I get a fairly significant degree of foot strain and cramping. I know there are SBers out there that know fin physics (I am clueless). Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Lisa

I think you have a good set of fins. Based on the physical description you provided, you could not expect to keep up with a bigger/stronger buddy unless that person is pacing on you. I think your foot strain/cramping is likley from poor kicking technique or not varying your kick throught the dive, both of which would result in strain and cramping. If you don't have a good kick, no matter what fin you use the problem will be the same. Do some pool time and go back to your basic training materials to refresh yourself on technique.

I think you have a good set of fins. Based on the physical description you provided, you could not expect to keep up with a bigger/stronger buddy unless that person is pacing on you. I think your foot strain/cramping is likley from poor kicking technique or not varying your kick throught the dive, both of which would result in strain and cramping. If you don't have a good kick, no matter what fin you use the problem will be the same. Do some pool time and go back to your basic training materials to refresh yourself on technique.

You could be right and to clarify, the cramping and strain are all at the top (dorsal) part of the foot. I have no leg cramping or fatigue, no arch symptoms. I do try to vary my kick during the dive between flutter, frog and a modified flutter. I also admit that even though they are size small and I wear thick-soled booties, I still have to tighten the straps to near the limit to fit. I don't know if this is a factor.

Before the booties and cushioned socks, I would sometimes get blisters on the top of my feet as well.

I also wonder if the fin is too long proportional to my body and if a shorter, maybe stiffer, fin might be better in dives where I know there will be current.

If it is my kick, I have no idea what I need to do different.

How small are your feet, and are you diving wet or dry? I have found size M Jet fins have a very small foot pocket, and they are stiff enough to swim against current. The Dive Rite EXPs in a L have a small foot pocket that works with wet boots (with soles) or small dry suit boots. They have a larger blade surface than the L Jets do.

ForceFin......

Have read about these and sound interesting but having trouble finding them for sale on my usual online dive shops

How small are your feet, and are you diving wet or dry? I have found size M Jet fins have a very small foot pocket, and they are stiff enough to swim against current. The Dive Rite EXPs in a L have a small foot pocket that works with wet boots (with soles) or small dry suit boots. They have a larger blade surface than the L Jets do.

I dive wet and typically wear size 6 tennis shoe. Can occasionally get away with a 5 1/2. My booties are size 5 and a little long so my foot does slid some. Thats one reason I added socks. May need to wear two pairs. This would add more cushion to the top of my feet as well.

Have read about these and sound interesting but having trouble finding them for sale on my usual online dive shops

I dive wet and typically wear size 6 tennis shoe. Can occasionally get away with a 5 1/2. My booties are size 5 and a little long so my foot does slid some. Thats one reason I added socks. May need to wear two pairs. This would add more cushion to the top of my feet as well.

I have some force fins you can try at the BHB.

I have some force fins you can try at the BHB.

That's incredibly generous of you. If I don't find a solution by my visit in May I'll take you up on your offer!

The Mares Avanti Quattros are a very VERY long fin both by characteristic and feel. Imagine trying to hold a board length wise and fan it up and down. The longer the board, the harder it is. This is how I feel is a negative aspect of the Quattros that I didn't like. If you can handle a stiff fin, I would go with Scuba Pro Jet fins. In the smallest size (medium), they're very tiny, but still give you enough thrust if you can power it.

Otherwise I would recommend a more flexible fin so you don't have to deal with a lot of foot torque from a long stiff fin. Force fins are good, but you have to do a lot of constant quick kicking to keep speed. Good thing about that is you don't feel any strain. With Jet fins you have to have a good strong kick-glide cycle to keep pace without cramping.

Keep in mind though, that at either side of the fin spectrum, if you and your taller buddy are finely conditioned in fin kicking, you'll always lose out at keeping pace.

Back
Top Bottom