Best drysuit hood?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrySuitDave

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Angeles, where the debris meets the sea
I have had my Viking Pro with the attached "Turbo" hood for 20 years now, and finally got a new one without a hood, just with the latex neck seal.

Although I wish there was a flap around it to protect it, on another tangent, what are some of your favorite drysuit seperate hoods? I need to order one....

I tried DUI and Mares hoods in the shop.
None of them fit even close to good.
Having had good luck with Bare products, I ordered a Bare Dry hood with the zipper from LeisurePro . It fits perfect!!!!!

I've only done one dive with it so far, but it worked well in 46f water. I like it.

Looks like a good hood...what did it cost you guys?

And isn't it possible to pinch and possibly damage a latex neck seal in the rear zipper, especially if it is metal?

Any particular reason why you didn't go with an attached hood? Seems a pity to spend a pile of bucks on a suit & still have your head getting wet.
Cold water in the ear canals causes bone thickening, by the way. After a number of years the extra growth starts making it harder to clear, traps wax, (increasing ear infections) & general all 'round mischief, sometimes resulting in the need to have those pesky ear tubes installed.

Originally posted by DrySuitDave
Looks like a good hood...what did it cost you guys?

And isn't it possible to pinch and possibly damage a latex neck seal in the rear zipper, especially if it is metal?

Bare 7mm Dry hood with zipper $35.95 at LeisurePro
Pinching?? the latex neck seal would be inside the hood. If something was going to pinch it would be the neoprene gusset beneath the zipper. I just went and looked at it.............. I suppose it's possible but not likely.

Hope this helps

I have one to. I actually use it over my Latex hood that's attached to my suit. For the extra thickness. And it keeps me extremely warm. Paid around $40 from leisure pro. Only thing I didn't like is the stitches stretched out on it. But it is warm.

I didn't go with the attached hood because the first one wasn't bone dry anyway, and air would pocket under my hood top and give me a major 'do.

I poked a small hole in teh top to relieve air pockets, but it was a pain dragging it across my face in between dives.

Besides, there were times I could have dove without it like my first fabric drysuit (hated the unstretchy material)

Separate stuff just gives more options, and my head was never really cold anyway even when I dove drysuits and had my head bare to the water unless it was winter.

For most jobs a superlight 17B.
For contaminated water, especially radioactive water a Desco air hat, the metal is easier to decon.
:D

oops
Sorry, I got off on a tangent again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom