Best Drysuit for the money, PLEASE HELP!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

check out DUI for demo suites, returns, and "oopses". There are some excellent opportunities for gear there (sometimes brand new) if you find your size. Smoking deals!

Save money, and go with soft foot, and get some Chuck Taylors....

Drysuit - for an economy drysuit, hands down the Bare Nex-Gen is the best made economy drysuit. To compare suits, turn them inside out and look at how the suit is made. Most of the drysuits out of southern CA are made using a sewing machine to punch thousands of holes in the drysuit then coating those holes with AquaSeal. The question is not "Will the suit leak?", but "When will the suit leak?"

Rock boots or Trek Boots, vs. turbo soles or rubber boots. The advantage of the attached "sock" foot with the Rock boot/Trek boot/Chuck Taylors is more pronounced in a trilam drysuit than in a neo drysuit. For a diver to move in a trilam suit, the suit has to have extra room (baggy fit). When diving you might find yourself looking under a ledge where your feet are higher than your shoulders. As such air in the drysuit will move to the legs and feet of the suit. With the vulcanized rubber type boot, the legs of the suit once filled with air can extend off of your feet. Not a comfortable position to be in. Effectively, you've lost an engine. Your fin is attached to the boot of your suit, but your foot is no longer in the boot. Rock boots or Trek boots greatly reduce the risk of this happening.

The other big advantage of going with the sock foot is that you are better protecting the water-tight integrity of the suit. The part of the shoe you are walking around on, the rock boot or trek boot, is not the water-tight part of the suit. The boots are easy to replace when worn out while the rest of the suit stills has plenty of dives left.

Fins - get the suit and boots sorted out, then try on fins. Also depends on the type of diving you do. If you are diving locally, ScubaPro jet fins are really hard to beat. Great price point and by using a little McNett UV Tech, the fins will last forever (I've had a pair of AquaLung Rocket fins for over 30 years). If your foot in the Trek boots is too big for the JetFin (size 10 is the largest that will fit, even using Silicon Spray in the foot pocket), try the XS Scuba Turtle fins.

Hoods - you could consider adding a dryhood if you are ice diving. Keeping your head dry and warm will greatly extend your dive time and safety. If you really want to stay warm, you can add an argon inflation system, drygloves and a full-face mask. With the SI Tech Dry Glove system, you can replace the glove with a rubbermaid heavy-duty (blue) kitchen glove from your local grocery store when the gloves wear out.

Thermals - if you save some $$ on the drysuit, you might want to spend a little more on the thermals. If you can survive the winters in WI, you know how to stay warm in a cold environment. Same rules apply to drysuit diving. Thinsulate works well even if it gets a little wet. Good ski socks with sock liners will keep your feet warm. Thinsulate drysuit boot liners are a little warmer, but add bulk around your feet. Layering your drysuit thermals also works. Using the a good bottom layer like the Bare SB Systems Base layer will help wick moisture (persperation) away from your skin before you get in the water - that said, the coldest water temp dive I did felt "warm" when I first got in the 38'F water (near Anchorage, Alaska in December one year). Air temperature plays a big part of making your choices. If the air tempature is well below freezing, you need to stay warm in the suit out of the water as well as in the water.

You can get a good new set-up for under $2K. Staying under $1.5K for a new set-up you'll have to make some cuts on the thermals and accessories.

Have you looked at used? As mentioned before you may need to do a little pre-dive maintenance but can cut costs and allow you to upgrade any suit (SI Tech system, P valve, etc).

Now the shameless plug! I have a Bare HD ATR in great shape, zippers have always been waxed, comes with 400 g (i think) thinsulite thermals, and turtle fins. Size is Large Short, thermals are ML. Check Bare site for sizing chart, fits me (a little long in the legs but no biggie) at 5'9" 42" chest, size 10 shoes. Neoprene neck seal is good, wrist seals are finished (dirt cheap to fix!) minor markings around the shins/knees on gaiters (white markings, no fraying!). Could be a great deal if it fits. PM me for pics if interested.

There are several things I don't like about rock or Trek type boots. One is that they are one more thing to forget when you pack. Another is that they are one more thing to put on, and put on bent over trying to fuss with your feet on a dive boat . . . or on shore. By the time I have my thick undies on and the legs of my drysuit, I'm not as flexible as I was before! But the biggest complaint I have is that, to make them secure, you have to tighten the laces. Tighten the laces, and you have no air in your feet, which means your feet get COLD. In comparison, my TurboSoles (which are basically neoprene socks with a thickened sole applied to the bottom of them, and which come with a Velcro strap to tighten around the tank, so they won't come off) allow me to fluff up my socks. My feet were definitely warmer when I had them.

If you don't tighten the laces enough on a boot, you can kick the whole boot off. That's worse than kicking OUT of attached boots, because the boot and fin sink, and you may or may not find them. (Ask me how I know this . . . ) In some settings, losing a boot and fin permanently could be the last diving problem you ever have :)

Whatever suit you get, don't stint on undies, if you are considering ice diving. Dry suits don't keep you warm -- not even the compressed neo ones do. Undergarments keep you warm, and although a thicker suit means you might be able to get away with thinner undies, the kind of diving you want to do is going to test your insulation as much as any diving can. Remember that undergarments have to keep you warm when they are dry, AND when they are wet; the last thing you want is to have a drysuit leak (and they happen) and be 20 minutes from being able to get out of the water, and discover your REI fleece isn't very warm when it's soaked with 38 degree water. There is a reason why top-end drysuit undies are often a combination of materials, and include a significant component of Thinsulate, or Hollofill. And yes, thick undies will mean more ballast is needed, but as we say in the PNW, "lead is warmth". Heavy gear is just the price of cold water diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom