Best Diving in Costa Rica?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The pacific side of CR is probably my favourite place to dive, I dove Catalinas, Bat Islands and local diving around Playa Del Coco. All of my diving in CR (30 ish dives) have been with Rocket Frog divers and I highly recommend them. They have a few shops including in Playa Del Coco and Flamingo beach. In my view Bat Islands is a must, I had several bull sharks on 5 of 6 trips there. Here is a short video from my trip there last year, all the footage is from Catalina, Bats and Local dives.

We stayed at Bahia Del sol...

We dove with Pacific Coast Divers.

Flamingo is about 1/2 drive north of Tamarindo.

Thanks. We stayed in Guanacaste a few years ago and I did a couple of dives from Playas del Cocos and it was pretty good but we're thinking about maybe going down there again next year. Did you stay at a resort, AirBnB, VRBO? We stayed at a resort and the only thing we liked about it was it was a 2 minute walk to the beach. I dove with Sirenas in Playas and they were excellent. I'm not sure if I want to go out to the island where that bull shark has been eating divers :wink:

Edit: Also, is there any kind of public transportation in Playa Flamingo? Taxis? Colectivo? Is a rental car necessary?

The pacific side of CR is probably my favourite place to dive, I dove Catalinas, Bat Islands and local diving around Playa Del Coco. All of my diving in CR (30 ish dives) have been with Rocket Frog divers and I highly recommend them. They have a few shops including in Playa Del Coco and Flamingo beach. In my view Bat Islands is a must, I had several bull sharks on 5 of 6 trips there. Here is a short video from my trip there last year, all the footage is from Catalina, Bats and Local dives.

Nice shots and very good stabilization. It it a GoPro? Is some of it slowed down a little?

If you like riding horses, some of us have no interest

If you have no interest, you have no interest. I just mention it because it’s just down the road from the dive shop, and it looks like this:
RqfZEvgjPw127ozz8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/RqfZEvgjPw127ozz8

Many thanks for this. I didn’t know about the Bat Islands. Now I know where we are going on our next vacation.

Nice shots and very good stabilization. It it a GoPro? Is some of it slowed down a little?

That was my LX10, mostly shot in 1080 60FPS slowed down 50%. I'm super picky about stabilization so your comment is reassuring:)

Many thanks for this. I didn’t know about the Bat Islands. Now I know where we are going on our next vacation.

My best dive there started with a giant pacific manta as soon as we hit the bottom, followed by 15 bull sharks circling us for 40 minutes. At one point I could see 9 at the same time, and viz is abut 30-40 feet. It's not a baited dive either, the bull sharks are just there and come to check out the divers.

My best dive there started with a giant pacific manta as soon as we hit the bottom, followed by 15 bull sharks circling us for 40 minutes. At one point I could see 9 at the same time, and viz is abut 30-40 feet. It's not a baited dive either, the bull sharks are just there and come to check out the divers.

You had me at giant pacific manta.

Back
Top Bottom