Best dives in Fla!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cra2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok, being a newb (8 dives), I have to post alot around here.
Why?
Well, I got a lot of catchin' up to do - some of you guys post ALOT! sheeeEEEEssh. lol. And, I gotta get my mouth open wide enough to stick my foot in it. But mostly because I gots TONS o' questions.

For example...
Being in Orlando, if I'm gonna make the 3 hr drive down to that strip of dive sites from Jupiter to Lauderdale, which are the best dives to do?

While I know this is entirely subjective, and can change based on conditions... just assume that, like most people, I want:
a) great viz
b) warm gentle waters
c) lots of critters
d) colorful reef OR interesting wreck
e) least time on rocking boat

We got that in Lantana on "Horseshoe Reef" on our very first dive. That probably set the bar pretty high.
So where else in that strip can we find that?

Everything in Broward county from the beach or boat is good. the reef is about 100 yards out from the shore unless you have a mean incoming tide, then its a looooong swim to what feels like nowhere. I've also done a few drift/spear dives off Deerfield beach that were nice as well - you just have to be careful because you can easily find yourself at 100' and if you don't manage your gas or pull back up some you'll make what should be a 45-60m dive into a quick 20 or less :wink:

I like Horseshoe too. Another cool section of reef is Lynn's just south of Boynton Inlet (maybe six miles south of Horseshoe). The current will generally be stronger, but the time spent on a rocking boat would definately shorter if you leave from one of the Boynton boats. For sheer density of fish, I can't think of anyplace better than Lynn's. Some spots, like Delray Ledge are cool just because of the spectacular structure of the reef itself.

Scubakevdm:
I like Horseshoe too. Another cool section of reef is Lynn's just south of Boynton Inlet (maybe six miles south of Horseshoe). The current will generally be stronger, but the time spent on a rocking boat would definately shorter if you leave from one of the Boynton boats. For sheer density of fish, I can't think of anyplace better than Lynn's. Some spots, like Delray Ledge are cool just because of the spectacular structure of the reef itself.
Yes, I'd rather drive farther than sit in a boat longer.
I'll look into Lynn's off Boynton. Any particular charter?

cra2:
Yes, I'd rather drive farther than sit in a boat longer.
I'll look into Lynn's off Boynton. Any particular charter?
Out of Boynton there are six charters, three are full time.... Loggerhead, DCI (the deeper fleet), and Splashdown. Loggerhead is excellent for instructors with students, DCI is top notch for hunters and Splashdown is favored by photographers.

Scubakevdm:
Out of Boynton there are six charters, three are full time.... Loggerhead, DCI (the deeper fleet), and Splashdown. Loggerhead is excellent for instructors with students, DCI is top notch for hunters and Splashdown is favored by photographers.
cool. good to know.
no cattleboats then?

I highly recommend Loggerhead. Boynton is much better than WPB.

The diving starts in Jupiter and goes all the way to Key West
Depending on the time of year there are many possibilities,
We got wrecks and shark dives in Jupiter and some of the
best reefs are off of West Palm Beach. More wrecks and
reefs south of there and don't forget the Biscayne wall
and reef dive and then further south is the Keys, hey
just check out some of these photos I took in all these
places. http://divertom.net/

Diver Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back