Best dive trip location for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With all due respect to the people pushing Florida, it just isn't that warm in February. Both individuals are a bit self-serving in that they represent commercial enterprises.

I like Florida, I was born there and I have made three trips from Pa in the past year to dive, but I would not recommend it as a warm destination in February. You are just as likely to be huddling in a blanket on the beach as reaching for the 40 SPF.

If you want to be really warm, go somewhere south of Mexico so the North American cold fronts cannot reach you.

Being warm is a must on this vacation :) I just so happened to be in Northern Florida (Panama City Beach & further West on the coast) just this past February and it was the same temperature as it was in KC, 35-40 degrees. I was wearing a winter coat, with a sweater, gloves, hat and scarf. So, I agree, February isn't likely to be as warm as I want to be, at least in Northern Florida.

EDIT - I do think this was unseasonable cold this past February, but I wouldn't expect it to be upper 70's, low 80's.

For those recommending Bonaire, really? For beginners? No dive master, learning to dive against the current, plan the turn around properly to end up back at your entry, iron shore...etc.. Not saying it's impossible or dangerous or anything, but for beginners, I don't know.

I read this thread and thought back about all the places I have been, and where I thought the diving was the easiest and the experience the best -- and Jeni, I'd recommend you guys look into a crewed sailboat charter in the BVI. The costs look horrendous when you first see them, but when you start to add up hotel rooms, meals, diving, and liquor, all of a sudden the charter begins to look like a pretty good deal. A lot of the boats are cats now with 4 staterooms, so they accommodate eight people. The itineraries are custom-built for the clients, including the food, the drink, the destinations, and the diving. The diving in the BVI is lovely, with lots of shallow reefs that are colorful and full of animals, and have very little current. You can see my report of our trip HERE -- we had one man who had gotten certified just before the trip, and another couple who did their 4th OW dive the day before we got on the boat, and everyone did fine and had an absolutely fabulous time.

This is not the trip for someone who wants to do five dives a day, but as beginners, I doubt you do . . . but it IS a trip for someone who wants to dive steadily, but also enjoy the sun, some swimming, gourmet food, good wines, and a lot of pampering.

I would recommend talking to Virgin Island Sailing if you are interested. They have done a fabulous job for us three times, matching the group with the right boat.

Definitely Bonaire! It is a relatively small island; you can always find a place without current. I dove here for 10 days in November and only found current to be present in the National Park, which is mostly advanced dive spots and entries. The surf is larger on that coast as well. I would not recommend that area for beginners.

Other than that area though, the rest of the island is perfect for a beginner! There is something to see at all depths.

For those recommending Bonaire, really? For beginners? No dive master, learning to dive against the current, plan the turn around properly to end up back at your entry, iron shore...etc.. Not saying it's impossible or dangerous or anything, but for beginners, I don't know.

Definitely Bonaire! It is a relatively small island; you can always find a place without current. I dove here for 10 days in November and only found current to be present in the National Park, which is mostly advanced dive spots and entries. The surf is larger on that coast as well. I would not recommend that area for beginners.

Other than that area though, the rest of the island is perfect for a beginner! There is something to see at all depths.

I can not begin to count the number of new OW divers who have gotten their first real ocean diving experience on Bonaire, or divers who do referrals to complete their OW on this island, because it is so forgiving a diving environment. Sure some sites are rougher than others, but Bonaire does not normally have any real surf where most of the dive sites are located, or truly harsh surge. Currents are pretty tame compared to many other dive destinations, and if you need DM's they are readily available if you chose to do the boat dives that the resorts offer, and available for hire, if you wish private guides.

Another great thing that I love about Bonaire, is the open welcome new divers seem to get from fellow divers on this island. I have not witnessed the dismissive attitude that I have seen some new divers greeted with by more highly experienced folks at a few other dive destinations.

Yes, certainly this is one spot I would highly recommend for new divers.

A trick that I just heard and plan to try next month in Bonaire for finding the entry point is to tie off the line on your reel at the entry point at say 25', the go straight out/down for another 30' depth and tie it off again.

Now you can pick a direction and follow the reef to your turn around gas level. On the return trip, stay at, in this example, 30-40' until you find the line. Roll it up and you can get ready for the next dive.

You're kidding, right? If a diver can't figure out how to swim to the left for 1000PSI, turn around and swim to the right for 1000PSI, and then crawl out of the ocean with 750PSI or so in their tank... they shouldn't be diving ANYWHERE!

Worst case scenario, you miss your exit point by a bit and need to walk 25-50yds with an empty AL80 on your back.

Need for a DM? Again, if you "NEED" one you should go back to OW class. If you "WANT" one to point out critters etc that's fine, and there are plenty of ops on Bonaire that offer boat dives with guides in the water.

Iron shore? What's the issue for beginners that's any different than for experienced divers?

I can't imagine a better Carribean location for beginners than Bonaire.

Jeni, I'd recommend you guys look into a crewed sailboat charter in the BVI.

BVI? Nothing to see here. Move along. Tell other people planning to visit the BVI there is nothing to see here either... but if they have to come, make sure they avoid my favourite spots.

Reactions: RJP
A trick that I just heard and plan to try next month in Bonaire for finding the entry point is to tie off the line on your reel at the entry point at say 25', the go straight out/down for another 30' depth and tie it off again.

Now you can pick a direction and follow the reef to your turn around gas level. On the return trip, stay at, in this example, 30-40' until you find the line. Roll it up and you can get ready for the next dive.

I am not sure what you intend to tie off to. Hopefully not the live coral.

It is just as easy to do your entry, head straight out from shore til you are at, say 15Ft-20ft, and look for an easily recognizable feature (not a fish!) and lock it in your memory. When you do your return trip make your way back up to that same depth and continue the dive till you reach the return spot you saw before, and make for shore. Pretty simple. That way you do not risk someone accidentally rescuing your "lost" line and reel, and scrubbing your "return trial".

I do see value to your line/reel marked exit for some dive situation, sort of like tying off a beacon light on some night dives, but I don't think you will find such a tractic necessary on Bonaire.

One thing people do a lot on Bonaire is pick a good shore entry point, and then see what there is on shore to memorize that point for your exit. Many sites have tall piles of coral rubble previous divers have made, to mark just such prime entry/exit point

Reactions: RJP
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom