Best dive trip location for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would look at Cozumel. It is where I did my first Ocean dives. I was never pushed past what I wanted to do. I told the DM my experience level, first ocean dives after certification. I felt like the DM kept an eye on me and my buddy, during the briefing if anyone had any kind of question or concern they were glad to explain and help. I was absolutely pleased with the way my 1st dives after getting certified went. I won't turn this into a cheer leading thread but will PM you with information on who we stayed and the dive op if you want. Just let me know.

We went to both Bonaire and the Keys last year. If you want to go in February, you cannot count on warm weather in Florida. Last year in early February the water temp in the Keys was in the low 60's. In Bonaire it was in the low 80's. There are some challenging entries in Bonaire, but most are very easy. There are no end of boat dives most of which are at sites that you can swim to in five minutes. There are guides that you can hire for shore dives if you are not confident enough to do it on your own right off. The beauty of Bonaire is not being tied to someone else's schedule.

In February your surest bet to dive everyday is Bonaire or Curacao. I am a big Coz fan too but you can like plan on getting blown out of the water for a day by the Nortes. I am taking my chances ther over the holidays this year as well as in August which has a small hurricane threat.

For new divers it is important to get as much dive time as you safely can. Bonaire offers the most and easiest bar none that I have experienced. It is also great diving.

I second the suggestion to get Nitrox certified before you get there as most of the packages include it and it definitely improves your safety margin. Have a great time wherever you end up going!

Wow! So much great information! Thanks everybody! I'm going to take this information to my friends and go over it with them. You guys have been a big help.

And Diversteve I just want to say thank you for such a detailed response with several suggestions of site to visit for more information. I really appreciate it!

Honestly, Key Largo is a wonderful place for new divers and veterans alike. Most people in the US don't realize how close the Florida Keys are and just how amazing the diving is. It is all boat diving but there are plenty of beautiful shallow reefs and wrecks and some awesome more advanced deep wrecks here. Suring the summer the water is crystal clear, warm, and flat calm. Key Largo is a great place to dive, its much more affordable than most other carribean locations and like Mselenaous said no passport required. Check out our website, call, or send an email if you have any questions about diving in Key Largo!

I do agree, Key Largo is a great place to dive! I was there last November and it was beautiful. I know for my emotional and mental sanity I must leave KC during the winter. What time of year is best for Key Largo diving? There's a chance I could do another smaller trip before next February.

Diver Steve was right on for Grand Cayman (haven't been to the other places) Sunset House is a decent divers hotel with decent shore dives. Renting a car and a condo would be a good choice. I prefer being in the SMB area. Sunshine suites is a great deal across from SMB with decently priced dining. Food can be VERY expensive on the island. Other dining choices are Chicken Chicken. (a lot like Boston Market but a lot better) Mid price and very good were Micheal's Best at Grand Camania and Morgan's Harbor (hard to find) as well as the sunset house and tiki bar at sunshine suites. Call Jim at Seasports for your boat dives. (He picks up from the beach so there are no shuttles) then take the car to the Cracked conch in the PM for shore dives. (Turtle reef is amazing in the afternoon light) Depending on experience do a night dive there as well....

I know for my emotional and mental sanity I must leave KC during the winter.

I'm just to the East of you, so I know exactly what you mean. :)

I did my first blue-water diving in Cozumel this year. It was fantastic! Easy, fun dives. My dad and I enjoyed it so much that we're headed back there around January.

I am a beginner diver and have been to Grand Cayman and Cozumel. Those are the only times I've been diving. Went to GC 7 years ago and Cozumel 1 month ago. I did 4 days of diving in GC and thought it was beautiful and easy. We went down to 100 ft a couple of dives and I had no problems. In Cozumel I thought it was more challenging and stressful and even had a panic attack on the first dive of the third day. I wasn't able to dive after that. I am not prone to panic attacks or claustrophobia so I don't know what happened. One of the experienced divers thought the dive master rushed us a little too much. GC WAS twice as much. There were lots of new divers in Coz and they all seemed fine with it.

There are incredible deals to Tahiti now, you can find lodging on Moorea that is reasonable or over water bungalows. French Polynesia is everything that the South Pacific is supposed to be. We went all over the Caribbean last year and other than the viz nothing compares to Tahiti, for every fish we saw in the Caribbean we probably saw a hundred in Tahiti, big fish, little fish, turtles and more sharks than you can count. The only bad part is, it sets the bar so high you will be disappointed with diving on your next trip more than likely, but you will never forget it.

Back
Top Bottom