Best Dive Jackets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

I'd like to introduce myself, my name is Jeffrey Weber and have been diving for almost 2 years. I'm happy to be a member of this forum and love all the advice / recommendations I have seen thus far.

I'm looking to purchase a waterproof jacket to keep warm between dives. Looking for the best value. I would love to get one of the Scubapro jackets but spending $200 on a jacket is pretty extreme. Anyone have any suggestions on great jacket that's under $100?

Any help is greatly appreciated - Thank you
I have a Warm Wind parka and a Surf Fur. Both are great and warm but when it gets wet (heavy rain/bow spray), i break out my Dutch Harbor Gear long coat. It's not insulated but no water gets through it.

About $50-$60 if you shop around.

A jacket is nice for Pacific Northwest diving in the winter, when there’s good vis. Needs to fit over my bulky drysuit, doesn’t need particularly high performance otherwise. Don’t care if it doesn’t work as well when wet or looks rough, just need something to cut the wind a bit. Thrift store can set me up with that for WAY less than $200!

I have a Warm Wind parka and a Surf Fur. Both are great and warm but when it gets wet (heavy rain/bow spray), i break out my Dutch Harbor Gear long coat. It's not insulated but no water gets through it.

About $50-$60 if you shop around.

I don't see this the one from Mako getting heavy from rain. The coat looks like it could get hit with a hose and be fine. I wish I had it for Cozumel in January since a few boat rides back it was quite cold and raining so hard it reminded me of skydiving in the rain.

This is the jacket I’ve gone to. Doesn’t brake the bank. Thick fuzz through the interior which will dry you off and warm you up. Hood to hold all that heat in and keep the rain off your head. I use it all winter diving in the Pacific Northwest.

Find a discount swimming store. Swimmers wear similar jackets at swim meets. Buy a size or two bigger since you are wearing a wetsuit. I have seen some at my local discount swim outlet for $40 that are simliar to the $150-$200 ones.

Well, the Mako parka kept me warm even though it dropped a lot of rain on the Hood Canal while it was in the low 40's this last weekend. It also was plenty roomy with pass through pockets for easy changing and it covers me down to near my ankles. I am glad I saw this thread before my trip..

It doubled as a waterproof robe to hit up the hot tub and had big enough pockets for a few beers. I know that one of my friends is going to order one after seeing mine.

Just got it. It is definitely well made and will keep me warm. I get to try it out in the PNW this weekend.
Good! A nitpick. Does the inner liner tend to slide out the sleeves when you put it on over a wet suit? I have a coat that would be great except for this.

I only wore it with a drysuit but the sleeves never slid out. I actually quickly turned it inside out and wore it driving back one day and it flipped back with no issues.

I definitely appreciated it's warmth after an hour dive with 46 degree water temp and air in the low 40s.

Well, the Mako parka kept me warm even though it dropped a lot of rain on the Hood Canal while it was in the low 40's this last weekend. It also was plenty roomy with pass through pockets for easy changing and it covers me down to near my ankles. I am glad I saw this thread before my trip..

It doubled as a waterproof robe to hit up the hot tub and had big enough pockets for a few beers. I know that one of my friends is going to order one after seeing mine.
Thanks for taking the time to provide a review! Glad you liked it. I appreciate it. Beer Pockets... a feature I had not yet considered! LOL

thanks
dano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom