best dive computer under 450 for newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mangoconchile

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
ive been researching some dive computers for the last few weeks. this will be my first dive computer. heres what im looking for:

wrist mounted computer
something easy to read(most important)
won't be using air integration
something that's easy to understand
don't really want a 'watch' size computer
something that is bungee mount capable would be a plus

so far iv'e been thinking the suunto vyper, hollis dg03 and oceanic geo 2.0. ive also been looking at the mares puck wrist computer as well. i plan on doing recreational diving only in colder waters. any recommendations? also is buying used a good or bad idea?

thanks

I recently picked up a used VEO 2.0 and am very happy with it. The thing to remember with used or internet acquired (with some manufactures) there is no warranty. That being said I often see pretty good deals at half the price. I went with the VEO 2.0 because it is a two button which is simpler for me to change my O2 settings plus it has two algorithms (liberal or conservative). According to other posts, supposedly with minor modification a DSS VT3 bungee mount will accept the VEO 2.0

no bungie option, but the Puck is not a bad unit. You cannot however count on Mares for any support, and the cable, should you want to download dives is an absolute rip off in what they charge. All things considered, I'd likely look at an XP-10 (Subgear) too. Get in touch with Beaverdivers here and see what he might be able to do for you. By contacting him directly, the prices can get better than a web search.....

I have the DG-03 and find it hard to read (cold water diving).

It was readable in my trip to Hawaii.

I had an older model Mares puck and found it a little easier to read.
There is a company in Germany that has an aftermarket DRAK computer cable for the puck for 38 euros...a little cheaper than the OEM.

ive been researching some dive computers for the last few weeks. this will be my first dive computer. heres what im looking for:

wrist mounted computer
something easy to read(most important)
won't be using air integration
something that's easy to understand
don't really want a 'watch' size computer
something that is bungee mount capable would be a plus

so far iv'e been thinking the suunto vyper, hollis dg03 and oceanic geo 2.0. ive also been looking at the mares puck wrist computer as well. i plan on doing recreational diving only in colder waters. any recommendations? also is buying used a good or bad idea?

thanks

The Aeris A300 was rated a Best Buy and a Testers' Choice by Scubalab - $389.95:

ScubaLab Dive Computer Best Buy and Testers' Choice Spotlight: Aeris | Scuba Diving

AERIS : A300

i plan on doing recreational diving only in colder waters. any recommendations?
Scubapro/SubGear/Uwatec XP-10. It was also a Tester's Choice. The XP-10 meets all your requirements. It is an excellent computer at a great price!

For the type of diving that I do, I wouldn't buy a computer over $300. I'm very happy with the Suunto line.

The (user-replaceable) battery on my Suunto Gecko is finally showing 'low bat'- this is after 988 dives (total 987hrs). I will try to 'clock' it to 1000 before changing the battery.

I also clocked my old Suunto Vyper (stolen a few years back). My rental computers (Suunto Zoop) are also a no-frills Nitrox computer. They're less than 2 years old, but no signs of problems.

If I were looking for a new 'typical' diving computer I'd go Zoop. Good value for the money, easily read display, Nitrox, user-replacable battery, easy to understand menu/scroll mode.

thanks you guys. i decided on an oceanic OCS due to the dot matrix display.

Back
Top Bottom