Best Deals on Singles BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

niknik

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all, first post. I mostly dive sidemount with a Katana and steels, but it's a little overkill for most of my travel diving to warmer climates. I'd like to get something on the less-expensive range for diving O/W (no overhead or penetrations--mostly just taking pictures), single AL80s, and a 3mm or 5mm (max) wetsuit. The DGX package for $300 for a steel backplate, 25lb wing, and harness/hardware seems tough to beat.

Any other good deals out there?

P.S. I've read the accolades on here for DSS, but for my intended purpose, I don't think I need the extra durability and "goodness" for 50% more $$$.

Based on your comments and parameters this seems to be the best fit for you.

DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package

That is the one he mentioned in the OP.

I don't know of a better deal than that.

The Blue Reef SS plate, at $70 from LeisurePro, is less $$ than the DGX plate by itself. But, DGX is giving a pretty good package deal discount to get the whole package at once. If you had to buy a wing and harness separately, I think it would be tough to do that and actually save any money, compared to the DGX package.

That said, I personally would spend a LITTLE extra.

$ 70 - BR Plate Blue Reef Stainless Steel Back Plate
$170 - HOG 23# wing Hog 23lb 360 Wing
$ 20 - Dive Rite 2" crotch strap Dive Rite Crotch Straps
$ 26 - 2 x ScubaPro-style Quick Release tank straps Tank Strap, Quick Release with S/S Hinge Buckle
$ 10 - 12' of 2" webbing Goldilocks Harness Webbing, per {1 ft | 30 cm}
$ 3 - 2 x Bent D-rings (chest) DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} D-Ring w/Bend
$ 2 - 3 x Tri-slides DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} Belt Slide
$ 4 - 2 x Rigid D-rings (waist) DGX S/S {2 in | 5.1 cm} Rigid D-Ring, Perpendicular on Slide
$ 12 - XS Scuba buckle XS Scuba Clear-Path Buckle

Total: $317

Those are the specific bits that I use and I like each piece better than the "standard" version it replaces in the "package". The XS Scuba buckle is glass-filled nylon. Strong enough to use as a weight belt buckle. Way more than strong enough for a BP/W buckle. And it's quiet and it is black. I don't get stalked by barracuda anymore since I switched from a stainless buckle to the XS Scuba.

To me, the extra time ordering and the $17 and maybe some extra shipping would be well worth it to get these individual pieces. But, I can't say any of it would be huge difference to the basic DGX package.

Optional
$ 20 - 2 x DGX trim weight pouches DGX Gears Trim Weight Pocket (each)
$ 10 - DSS cam band tension pads Cam Strap Tension Pads, one pair universal scuba
$ 17 - 100' roll of thin bungee Shock Cord - {100 ft | 30.5 m} Bulk Rolls

The DGX trim weight pouches are really nice. Huge velcro patch for keeping them closed. And they are small. Just barely big enough to hold a single 4 or 5# weight. I had XS Scuba weigh pouches and they were huge. A single 1 or 2# weight in one of those was really loose flopping around in there.

The cam band tension pads are nice, but definitely not a requirement. They give you something to squeeze when you tighten the tank straps, so they maintain some tension on the tank straps even if the straps loosen a little bit after you get in the water. [EDITED to correct info]

You could just buy 10' or so of bungee for 4 or 5 bucks, but it is SO handy! I finally got tired of buying short lengths again and again and just bought spools of thin and a thicker one (don't remember exactly which).

The thin stuff will be good with the 3rd tri-slide mentioned above to make a LPI retainer loop on your upper left shoulder. And it will be good to make your own bungee necklace for your secondary second stage reg (if you dive with the bungee necklace setup). And many other things...

Last edited:
As another option, you could give Diver Supply a call. They may be able to put together a HOG 23 wing package in the DGX price range. However, if I was in the market for a travel setup, I would probably go with the VDH setup that @tbone1004 recommended.

The VDH wings look more nicely streamlined than the HOG wing. But, by the time you get a 23# wing and upgrade the BP to SS, the VDH setup is starting to cost a lot more. If the 18# wing is enough, then it's only $335, which isn't bad... except that for me, I would rather have the upgraded harness bits that I listed - especially the ScubaPro-style tank straps and the XS Scuba buckle.

And the extra lift from a 23# wing wouldn't hurt my feelings, either. I'm going to Coz in a couple of weeks and my first choice of dive ops was Aldora, which offers HP120 (steel) tanks. In that warm water, with a SS plate and a steel 120, I'm not sure I would want an 18# wing. To put it another way, I have steel 120s of my own and I have dived in my 3/2 wetsuit with a SS plate, steel 120, HOG 23, and no additional weight and with the wing full, it floats me adequately. But, I would not want to dive the setup with a smaller wing.

If you upgrade the VDH package to a SS plate, 23# wing and SP-style straps, then it's $395. I would spend $317 for the parts I listed instead. The HOG 23 wing would not be as narrow as the VHD 23 (I don't think), but for an occasional-use warm water rig, that would be fine (for me). It's still a nice, small wing.

Oh, and BTW, the VDH SS plate that I *think* is included in that package looks to be IDENTICAL (to me) to the Blue Reef SS plate from LeisurePro.

[QUOTE="stuartv, post: 8264206, member: 453371"

The cam band tension pads are nice, but definitely not a requirement. I just happened to have some leftover from when I had a DSS BP/W rig. They go in the spine V-channel of the BP and just give you something to squeeze when you tighten the tank straps, so they maintain some tension on the tank straps even if the straps loosen a little bit after you get in the water.
[/QUOTE]

Wrong. What you are referring to is the DSS "Wedge Block", not the cam strap tension pad. Entirely different parts. DSS wedge blocks generally only work correctly with DSS plates. Geometry matters......

Spreading incorrect info benefits no one.

Tobin

Wrong. What you are referring to is the DSS "Wedge Block", not the cam strap tension pad. Entirely different parts. DSS wedge blocks generally only work correctly with DSS plates. Geometry matters......

Spreading incorrect info benefits no one.

Tobin

His description was wrong but he linked to the correct part.

The VDH wings look more nicely streamlined than the HOG wing. But, by the time you get a 23# wing and upgrade the BP to SS, the VDH setup is starting to cost a lot more. If the 18# wing is enough, then it's only $335, which isn't bad... except that for me, I would rather have the upgraded harness bits that I listed - especially the ScubaPro-style tank straps and the XS Scuba buckle.

And the extra lift from a 23# wing wouldn't hurt my feelings, either. I'm going to Coz in a couple of weeks and my first choice of dive ops was Aldora, which offers HP120 (steel) tanks. In that warm water, with a SS plate and a steel 120, I'm not sure I would want an 18# wing. To put it another way, I have steel 120s of my own and I have dived in my 3/2 wetsuit with a SS plate, steel 120, HOG 23, and no additional weight and with the wing full, it floats me adequately. But, I would not want to dive the setup with a smaller wing.

If you upgrade the VDH package to a SS plate, 23# wing and SP-style straps, then it's $395. I would spend $317 for the parts I listed instead. The HOG 23 wing would not be as narrow as the VHD 23 (I don't think), but for an occasional-use warm water rig, that would be fine (for me). It's still a nice, small wing.

Oh, and BTW, the VDH SS plate that I *think* is included in that package looks to be IDENTICAL (to me) to the Blue Reef SS plate from LeisurePro.

Stuart the OP mentioned AL-80s and a travel setup. So to me that means low weight and a small wing. I agree for your use, steel plate and 120s, that an 18 lb wing would not cut it

His description was wrong but he linked to the correct part.

No, the link was to cam strap tension pads, which *DO NOT* fit in the center channel of the back plate. We stopped offering the wedge blocks for sale *BECAUSE* the DSS wedge blocks only work correctly with DSS back plates. With 3rd party plates with different depth center channels and different cam strap locations the wedge blocks typically have no effect.

Of course these details aren't very important to those wish to be internet experts.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom