Best Cenote Diving Locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DepthCharge:
Is Grande Cenote open again? Last I heard some of it had collapsed due to the construction.

Should have read YAK's posting before I posted.

The collapse wasn't Gran Cenote. I don't remember the name of that one, but it was the one that the owner is an artist and displayed some of his work in the enterance, which was a dry cave area.

Edit - It was Cenote Calimba. The owner was using heavy machinery to make the enterance area wider and instead it collapsed in. I'd seen some pictures online but don't remember where they were posted. Here's some updated info though www.nsscds.com/Current.html

scubawife:
The collapse wasn't Gran Cenote. I don't remember the name of that one, but it was the one that the owner is an artist and displayed some of his work in the enterance, which was a dry cave area.

Edit - It was Cenote Calimba. The owner was using heavy machinery to make the enterance area wider and instead it collapsed in. I'd seen some pictures online but don't remember where they were posted. Here's some updated info though www.nsscds.com/Current.html

The "artist"??? destroyed what was a beautiful and quite unique gift from mother nature! What used to be a cenote inside a dry cave now looks like a quarry. Thanks. :shakehead

Stephen Ash:
The "artist"??? destroyed what was a beautiful and quite unique gift from mother nature! What used to be a cenote inside a dry cave now looks like a quarry. Thanks. :shakehead

It was a completely stupid move on his part. Guess he figured he could make more money if he had a bigger open area to display his stuff. I hadn't been there but had heard alot about it and seen pictures. When I saw the "after" pics, it really was a head shaker. All you can do is wonder WHAT was he thinking? ":shakehead " pretty much sums it up.

scubawife:
It was a completely stupid move on his part. Guess he figured he could make more money if he had a bigger open area to display his stuff. I hadn't been there but had heard alot about it and seen pictures. When I saw the "after" pics, it really was a head shaker. All you can do is wonder WHAT was he thinking? ":shakehead " pretty much sums it up.
he was actually trying to make a hole on top to make light come in like other cenotes

he fd it up

actualy, if he was trying to get daylight on the water of the cave entrance.. it worked just fine... there's now an opening approx 20' in diameter right over the water, just daylight, no change in entrance, you still go down the stairs, into the 'dry' part of the cave, then to the water. Now it just has a direct opening above it to the air.

the first 300' or so of the cave is still silty from the disturbance, but not too bad after the first 30'.

oh, and the cave is Calimba :) will have pix up in a few days, including a 360° pano of the changes

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom