Best Cenote Diving Locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been to a bunch of them. Dos Ojos is one of the more beautiful ones, but as everyone has pointed out, can sometimes be a bit busy. Gran Cenote has similar white formations. I dove Car Wash & Gran Cenote last week with Dennis (Diablo Divers). I'm heading back next week with another group and will probably dive those two again. Kukulkan has a halocline which was cool.

Here's a few pictures.

Dos Ojos:

114_1427.jpg

Car Wash:

130_3039.jpg

Gran Cenote:

130_3051.jpg

Gran Cenote:

130_3048.jpg

Chac Mool:

jackcenote8-1.jpg

Have fun!

Thanks!

How do you access all of these? I saw on one dive shops site that they had people scaling the side of a mountain to get down there!

Which ones have easy access?

scrapdizzy:
Thanks!

How do you access all of these? I saw on one dive shops site that they had people scaling the side of a mountain to get down there!

Don't worry. You won't be scaling any mountains. Carwash is the easiest access of the ones I've been to. You can pull the truck up to within a few paces of the platform. Most will involve a walk down a path and/or stairs. The popular ones that any guide would take you to are all reasonably easy to get to the entry point with your gear on.

Scrapdizzy,

Contact Dennis at Diablodivers.com or Fernando at Divetulum.com. They will be glad to set you up for some cenote tours. Of course there are tons of other ops in the area, too.

Carwash is the easiest but most of the "tourist" cenotes aren't too difficult. Most are close to the road and require a little walk, at least. Humping a single ain't too bad. When we take groups to some of these places we will often carry their gear for them, if need be.

As RJ mentioned, the tourist cenotes are shallow... well, except for Angelita.... 200 feet straight down... the water column is unique in that the fresh and salt layers are separated by a layer of hydrogen sulfate. Many ops will take AOW to recreational depths at this cenote.

Cave training before going? Hmmm... that's a bit like getting a formula one license before touring the Indy 500 Speedway. Go do some tours and have fun. About the only thing you need to enjoy a cenote tour is reasonably good diving skills.

scrapdizzy:
Thanks!

Iv'e been to Kukulkan/Chac Mool, Dos Ojos, Ponderosa, Taj Mahal, Gran Cenote, & Carwash. All of them have easy access. Some you slip into a pool, others you giant stride off a platform. Unless you dive Dos Ojos with Hidden Worlds, who make you descend a steep metal staircase through a small hole in the ground into the Batcave while they lower your gear on a rope. Dunno why they have to do that, but it doesn't look appealing.

yak:
Iv'e been to Kukulkan/Chac Mool, Dos Ojos, Ponderosa, Taj Mahal, Gran Cenote, & Carwash. All of them have easy access. Some you slip into a pool, others you giant stride off a platform. Unless you dive Dos Ojos with Hidden Worlds, who make you descend a steep metal staircase through a small hole in the ground into the Batcave while they lower your gear on a rope. Dunno why they have to do that, but it doesn't look appealing.

The ride out on the jungle truck and climbing down that hole are all part of the Hidden Worlds experience to make you feel like a real adventurer. :wink:

scubawife:
The ride out on the jungle truck and climbing down that hole are all part of the Hidden Worlds experience to make you feel like a real adventurer. :wink:

hmmm.... Maybe they should lower you down the hole on a rope by your heels so you can feel like a real bat.

yak:
hmmm.... Maybe they should lower you down the hole on a rope by your heels so you can feel like a real bat.

Oh geez, don't give Buddy any ideas... with the zip line and the new sky cycle, be careful, this just could be next. :shakehead

But seriously, Hidden Worlds is a good intro for divers who want to just do one cenote dive or don't have a buddy to go with. It's also good for a family or group of divers and snorkelers since they do snorkel tours in other cenotes on their property too.

SBP Studios:
Thanks...we are OW
sorry for the late reply, if youre ow i would reccomend going to nomoson, really nice with quite a few cattle skeletons. theres a 55ft dropoff from the surface of the hole to the surfce of the water you can go down either by a ladder, rappel or JUUUUUUUMP like the guide did

the guys name is eduardo vazquez real nice guy i did 2 dives for about 120bucks including refreshments and snack all equip except wetsuit, fins and mask
see him at adventuretours.com.mx

scubawife:
Do yourself a favor and ask your guide for any other combo of cenotes. Carwash and Gran Cenote are a great pair to do if you're going for 2 tanks. There are also many other nice ones that are no more challenging with a good guide then Dos Ojos and Bat Cave.

Is Grande Cenote open again? Last I heard some of it had collapsed due to the construction.

Should have read YAK's posting before I posted.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom