Best Cenote Diving Locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
Boy, we had nobody in the water with us. We came very early, finished our first dive as the hordes were ready to get in, and went in for our second dive as they came out. I think we saw one other group in the water on the second dive, from a great distance.
same here, the place wasn't crowded at all

TSandM:
Boy, we had nobody in the water with us. We came very early, finished our first dive as the hordes were ready to get in, and went in for our second dive as they came out. I think we saw one other group in the water on the second dive, from a great distance.

Three times and each time we had no less then 2, and one time, 3 groups that we passed along the way. And the parking area was full too. Could be timing. We in at about 10am for the first dive, had sandwiches and soda between dives. Glad that not everyone has had the crowded experience there. I think that's a big part of why I've enjoyed some other sites more then Dos Ojos.

Dos Ojos sounds good because its shallow and we dont like going much deeper than 40ft. I hear some of these Cenote dives are super deep.

Do you all reccomend getting Cave certed before going?

Dos Ojos has openings and exits throughout, I was only OW certified when I did them.

We hit Dos Ojos very early in the morning and were the only truck in the clearing upon arrival. The guide had to unlock a long chain across a double track to get there. I didn't see another soul until surfacing from dive two - and then it was like Disneyland. I've heard there are more public routes to get in that don't open until later and then the tours start coming through. Try to find someone with a key to that chain! Perhaps it even added to the magical experience to think I was utterly alone (except for buddy), but then find 25 bobbing snorkelers at the surface adding bright colors and disturbing the surface such that the cavern walls danced with light.

As someone who is not (yet) cave-ready, I like Dos Ojos because you have the sensation of being under a mile of rock despite being near exits. Which ever hole in the ground you decide to dive, you will enjoy it if you have never been...

But - the purpose of the thread seems to be to find a place topside. Anywhere between PDC and Tulum.... Akumal happens to be right in the middle.

Oh, scrapdizzy, if you have the possibility to get cave certified before going, DO IT! The caverns are lovely, but everybody tells me the caves beyond the caverns are even better. It was incredibly frustrating and sad to me to have to stop at the sign, and next time, I won't have to.

scrapdizzy:
Dos Ojos sounds good because its shallow and we dont like going much deeper than 40ft. I hear some of these Cenote dives are super deep.

Do you all reccomend getting Cave certed before going?

None of the popular cenotes are deeper than ~40-45ft in the cavern zones. There are very few places in the area deeper than 70ft.

Getting cave certified is not something to embark upon lightly. I think you should try cavern diving first. The caves aren't going anywhere, you can return another time for a class or once certified elsewhere.

i reccomend going with eduardo at adventuretours.com.mx

hes in merida and playa del carmen

are you cave, intro, cavern or ow

Back
Top Bottom