Best Cenote Diving Locations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightRaven77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey Everyone..!!!

I am looking into taking a Cenote diving vacation and need some advice as to where would be the best place to stay and have access to the best sites...

Anyone have any dive shops that are decent in Mexico to go to for Cenote diving???

Thanks !

NightRaven77

Anywhere between Playa del Carmen and Tulum will be a good location if your main focus is going to be cenotes. Akumal is about half way between the two. If you aren't cavern or cave certified then you'll need to go with a guide and that will run around $100-125 for a 2-tank trip.

There are many good shops and guides so you'll get lots of different recommendations. I've used a few guides and so far Diablo Divers has been our favorite.

Second (or third?) the recommendation for Akumal. IMO the diving off of Akumal isn't that great, but you will have easy access to the cenotes and will enjoy the dry portion of your trip as well. Dos Ojos is a great intro cavern dive (assuming you are intro level) that will expose you to what it's all about and wow your pants off at the same time. Dos Ojos is very near Akumal. As far as guides - there a guy who runs Ocelot Adventures in PDC that the local shops sometimes call down. Can't recall his name, but he is an A+ guide.

Im looking to do this too before we leave Cancun for Cozumel and some Coz diving.

We are staying at the Riu in Cancun for a few days but want to take a trip to go Dive some Cenotes.

Doj Ojos sounds perfect since we never really did caves before.

Anyone else have feedback on this?

HERE are a bunch more pictures, from Carwash and Grand Cenote. You can tell from the captions what I thought of the experience :)

Spratman:
Nice trip. I understand the "Car Wash" doesn't get as much traffic. The RIU is nearly across the street from MayanAquaDive, KM5.5. Ask Ben about his cenote trips. BenRMooney@yahoo.co.uk or at www.mayanaquadive.com

Hope you have great weather!

I would take just about any cenote over Dos Ojos/Bat Cave. They are lovely, easy cenote dives, but much too crowded. Between Hidden Worlds taking their groups through and the masses of private guides and students from other enternance, you can rarely get through a dive without crossing paths with at least 2-3 other groups.

I think some guides just take all their divers there since it's a no-brainer - one location, two dives - and it's so well known from it's appearances in movies and documentaries.

Do yourself a favor and ask your guide for any other combo of cenotes. Carwash and Gran Cenote are a great pair to do if you're going for 2 tanks. There are also many other nice ones that are no more challenging with a good guide then Dos Ojos and Bat Cave.

Boy, we had nobody in the water with us. We came very early, finished our first dive as the hordes were ready to get in, and went in for our second dive as they came out. I think we saw one other group in the water on the second dive, from a great distance.

Back
Top Bottom