Best Caribbean Diving Conditions in December?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ECPaul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We want to dive somewhere in the Caribbean the 3rd week in December (yeah, I have to plan ahead so I have something to look forward to!). What I want to know is, are the water conditions (specifically wind & waves) generally much better or worse at certain Caribbean dive locations that time of year?

And please - I do understand that I'm going to find a lot of current almost anytime of the year in Coz (which I actually enjoy), but I want to make sure to avoid going to a dive destination which is great most of the rest of the year, but that I should otherwise avoid in December. As a relatively novice diver the only December diving experience I've had has been in the Florida Keys (OK), but I would like to find a great warm-water alternative this year.

I'm also aware that no matter what the "general trend" is in the weather, that there is never any assurance of what the weather will be in any location during a specific week - but I'd still like to have the greatest shot at good diving weather. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Either Bonaire or Curacao have almost the same weather all year round. A little more rain at times or the winds shift a little but basically, they have perfect diving conditions all year. Currents are typically mild and don't change much due to the time of year. I was on Bonaire last Dec and they had the most rain they had had in years. We got a little wet on a couple of occasions but it never slowed our diving. The diving on both islands is very good and ranges from very easy to advanced tech.

Look at my post under the Travel forum for Barbados. We are going down there in December and there is a Best of Barbados special right now that you can get your trip for as low $399.99 including 7 nights stay, breakfast every morning and round trip airfare from several major cities. It looks like a warm comfortable time of year to be in Barbados and it is after the rainy season!
Check it out!!

I've had good luck in both Belize and Roatan at that time of year -

hil71:
I've had good luck in both Belize and Roatan at that time of year -

Thanks. I've not been to either of these places so I'll check them out.

Bonaire! Or, you might consider...Bonaire!
Novice?..... Bonaire!
OK, since I am just a bit bias, you should also look into...Bonaire!

Jet

Jetwrench:
Bonaire! Or, you might consider...Bonaire!
Novice?..... Bonaire!
OK, since I am just a bit bias, you should also look into...Bonaire!

Jet

Jetwrench (airline mechanic?): I have to agree with that Bonaire sounds great, but the big downside is that it appears to be really difficult to get there. I'm flying out of BWI and don't see a lot of great options. Cayman, on the other hand, is any easy flight. And I'm also checking out Curacao, which seems much easier to get to than Bonaire.

I need to start a charter airline to Bonaire......

Maybe not too crazy of an idea!

I would suggest Bonaire or Roatan. I have been both places and the weather is wonderful.

Yes, getting to Bonaire right now is a bit of a pain but, it is SO worth it. You can dive as much, or as little, as you want. There is a variety of sites to choose from depending on your experience level.

Roatan is wonderful as well but, it is almost all boat diving so your schedule is not as flexible as it would be in Bonaire. Check out Inn of Last Resort if you want. It is a great resort!

dvrliz1:
ECPaul

American flies out of BWI, RT airfare is around $750.00 RT.

Liz

Many thanks Liz - and I'll check out your interesting property as well.

Maybe see you in December.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom