Best BP/W

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

swimrundive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Probably redundant by now since some people have bought BP/W's from years ago. I'm looking for the best brand or brands offered for BP/W.

I don't mind investing as long as it is quality instead of wishing I bought so and so brand or type.

Halcyon leads the pack in my opinion. Also less is more here so keep it simple.

Hopefully this won't be considered a hijack...

Once you have settled on SS versus Al, does it really matter which BP you go with? Are there ones that are better than others? Are there individual diver requirements that make certain BPs better for one diver and a different BP better for other divers?

beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. The absolute best are probably Oxycheq and Halcyon but you're going to pay for them. $800 minimum for the Halcyon system. They're made in Florida and are top quality. I don't think they're worth the price, but many do. If you buy, I would buy from Extreme Exposure up in High Springs. Think Range Rover

Oxycheq systems run about $650 new from Cave Adventurers, they are again made in Florida and are of top quality, but not cheap. Edd sells them but any of the dealers should be around there. Think Land Rover

Deep Sea Supply is another top quality brand with everything made in California, just under $500 for those. As far as best bang/buck for a high end system DSS is the way to go. I like Oxycheqs stuff a little more, but to each his own. Think Jaguar

Dive Rite makes high quality rigs as well and is another Fl based company if that matters to you, their wings are sewn in NY. About on par cost wise with Deep Sea Supply, quality is about the same, but they are very popular/based in Florida, have a much more diverse dealer network than the others, and are high quality rigs. They were the first to market with STA's the CEO actually invented it, I think the backplate was first commercialized by them as well. Think Mercedes.

So is the Mercedes the highest quality of the lot, probably not, but at that point you are splitting hairs, so you can't really go wrong if you want a quality US made product at a reasonable price.

Webbing and hardware are all about the same, the first three probably have nicer finished plates than the others, they all make BEAUTIFUL backplates, but it's still a 6lb plate of stainless steel.... The wings are all splitting hairs as well, so it depends on who you want to support, what you want to spend, and which dealer you like the best..... Dive Gear Express is a great Dive Rite dealer in the general south Florida region, DSS and Oxycheq you'll likely have to buy sight unseen, Halcyon it is worth the drive to High Springs if you're wanting to see their gear, Extreme Exposure is a great shop.

Edit: Stuart, plates are all functionally identical but certain fit and features make some better than others. Halcyon, Oxycheq, and Deep Sea Supply have some of the most beautiful plates that have been made, they take a lot of time polishing them and it shows. Most of the others are machine polished and they're good enough, quite good in fact, but if you hold a Hollis plate next to a Halcyon or an Oxycheq it really is a night and day difference in overall quality. You can do the finishing yourself if you want, but the plates coming out of Florida are truly beautiful.

Have a good look at Hog...high quality/lower price.

You have to decide first whether to get a stainless steel or aluminum one. Next you need to decide what size. Then lastly the harness. The harness basically falls into two categories. Continuous webbing and the "deluxe" versions with quick releases. The quick releases introduces failure points but makes donning and doffing a bit easier. For simplicity and durability I use the continuous webbing with no pads. I prefer the stiffer impregnated webbing because it holds its form better underwater. It may be a bit uncomfortable above water but is nice and snug underwater. Fit is also important. It would be better if someone knowledgeable helps you to fit it. It might also take a few dives before you get it dialed in, but its well worth the effort. BTW what type of exposure suit do you usually dive?

Sent from my Underwood typewriter

Once you have settled on SS versus Al, does it really matter which BP you go with?

From pure functionality point of view, maybe not. Just like a Honda and a BMW will both get you from point A to point B.

From quality and features point of view, not all plates are made the same. They are different in size (width, length), thickness (weight) the steepness of the band, hole locations, crotch strap lots. These all affects how the plate performance (comfort, tank location) in real use. Then there are build quality, which does not affect performance but some people are willing to pay more for them: Some deblurr all edges and holes perfectly, some left them sharp, some use rubber groment to help holding webbing in place .... Persoanlly, I think Halcyon plates are best made. But it may or may not fit you need. They cost more.

As for wing, I have own and used Halcyon, DSS and Oxycheq. None are bad. IMO, I rated Oxycheq the lowest overall usability. Although Oxycheq Mk V is the toughest in construction, it is too stiff, it doesn't have the claimed 40lb lift when tank is mounted, its inner bladder is way bigger than the shell and folded inside which makes venting harder. And then no one every reply emails. If you dive in a very harsh environment and need to toughness, it is a good choice. But for most people, I think a less tough and a better design wing will serve better.

You have to define “best”. Is tear-resistant more important than weight for travel or customer service? Do you penetrate a lot on wrecks? Single or doubles? Single or dual bladder?

Don’t get too wound up, after all it is just an air batter and the vast majority use the same inflator.

Whichever BP/W satisfies your fit, form & function requirements . . .try before you buy.

Also check the "finish" of the BP slots & edges: are they de-burred and smoothed so they won't cut into your harness webbing or Buoyancy Wing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom