Best bcd for 11 year old son

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11hollywood

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What's the best bcd for my 11 year old son as we are just getting into diving. Size XS seems to fit and still have some growing room. Which bcd would be best that's quality and durable. Thinking maybe best to get one that has the quick release weight system. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

BP/W would allow a lot of room for growth and infinitely adjustable. Would end up cheaper than a regular jacket BCD. You can piece one together from used bits for not much money. You can get dumpable weight pockets. I used to have the Hog ones. Worked fine.

Check out a Zeagle Express Tech throw in some cheap weight pockets or the Zeagle specific one and you've got a BC he can use forever.

My son, also 11, has been using an Aqualung Wave XXS in our club pool. It works. I find the biggest challenge is getting it tight enough and to stop it riding up without him moaning. A crutch strap would be a help. Being club kit I am not at all concerned about him growing out of it (we have a an XS too then a load of middling sizes).

Aqua Lung UK - Personal Aquatic Equipment for Personal and Professional Use - BC Size and Lift Chart

I have spent enough time sorting out falling over cylinders on boats to detest integrated weights. It looks like the Wave can have them retro fitted.

The club picked the Wave (we have 10 sets) on the basis of cost and availability of small sizes. A BCD is just a bag of air. We have had this set for 18 months doing weekly training and had no issues at all.

backplate and wing will allow the rig to grow with him regardless of what his body does. Depending on his height and time until his next growth spurt, he may be able to get into a standard length backplate which can stay with him until he hits about 6'2" or so

I would agree on the BP/W idea, not only is it infinitely adjustable as he grows, it's just way way better for diving than a jacket BC anyways. Might as well start him off on the right path. The only problem is that once you see how his set up works, you'll want one for yourself.

Put my 10 and 12 to daughters in DSS med SS BP and T17 wing, 1 piece harness. I folded some harness back on the waist strap for growth.

Now, many years later through womanly development and freshman 15 they're still using the same rigs.

And they liked it A LOT better than the jackets they trained in. A LOT.

Ok kool. Thanks for all the advise. He has been using a wave bc and loves it, but I think if I can get him into a bp/w and get him to take to it we would be better off in the long run. If u guys got pics of ur setup please post some pics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom