Best bang for the buck strobe for Canon SD1400

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fourseventeen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a Canon SD1400 with Canon WP-DC37 U/W housing. What would be my best external strobe option for this camera? Not looking to break the bank...I only do about a dozen dives a year, 65' or less in depth and mostly Caribbean waters (So Cal otherwise) Any advice is appreciated.

Read the discussion on this thread.

Keep in mind your camera does not have manual shooting capabilities (Tv, Av and M shooting modes). Unless you will eventually upgrade to a camera that does IMO you should not spend a lot of money on a strobe for that camera.

Be sure that whatever strobe you get has a setting that is compatible with your camera's flash. What I mean by that is does your camera have a pre-flash or no-preflash.

Gilligan is right. you will most likely upgrade if you out grow you camera since it does not have any manual or raw capabilities.

However, I think you can invest in a decent strobe that can be used with a future camera.

I think any of the optically fired Sea & Sea or Inon strobes would be easily adaptable to a G or S series Canon in the OEM or other housings.

You can actually count on the strobe/tray/arms remaining viable while you replace the camera/housings as newer models come around every year or so.

I actually started out this way with a housed Canon P&S with OEM housing. Got an Inon S2000 and basic 10bar tray and flex arm. I have since upgraded to a FIX S90 and still use the S2000 strobe.

thanks for the info guys. I actually own 2 Canon 5D mkII DSLR but I am not looking to spend a fortune on a housing, ports, dual strobes etc seeing as I only dive a max of a dozen times a year...just cant justify spending 3000.00+ on these items. Looking to spend about $500-$600 and get some decent underwater photos to remember my trips. Not really expecting to get publish quality photos U/W.

With that budget, you can get a S2000 that would serve you well even after you move on to another camera/housing set up.

Or I would consider getting myself an S95/OEM Housing and use it with Manual and Raw for white balancing. A lot of people getting good enough results with just raw and post processing.

That way, you get a very capable compact camera topside as well.

I have used a g9 for 2 years now. I originally had the ikelite case and just went oem. If you want a good bang for buck strobe, I love the size and rprice of the inons. I had a single z240 that I used with the ikelite case and got great photos. I think you would be Better off with a g series because you can use wet lenses for macro and wa. If you have 2 mkii's (jealous btw) I think you would be much happier with raw and more artistic control of a g series and one inon strobe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom