Best 5mm Wetsuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am looking for a 5mm wetsuit to be used for quarry diving and NC wreck diving. The average temperature I'd be in would be 67-75, for sometimes longer periods of time. Any recommendations? I was thinking of the Henderson Thermoprene but have been hearing mixed things. I've also heard good things about Pinnacle, but am not familiar with them (and don't have access to any in my LDS). I'd prefer one with some give to it, since a small tends to have a little bit of air gap and an extra small is obviously a little tight. I have also read that, while though it is a comfortable suit, the Henderson H2 doesn't hold up too well over time and compresses quickly.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Seems a bit chilly for a 5 mm. I would think about a 7mm if the temperature outside is >75 and a drysuit if cooler especially if the dives are long

Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks for the help everyone. I think I am going to try the Thermoprene for now. I have used a 5mm in quarries before and it worked well enough, and I am not ready to invest in a drysuit just yet. I have tried 7mm before and have a hard time fitting in an XS, but a S leaves some air gap. I'll be doing some dives mid-October so I'll post what I experienced (I'll also be using a 5/3 hood).

Try the Beuchat Focea 2, in my opinion better than the Waterproof Lynx although a little dearer, loads easier to get on than a Waterproof or Scubapro,

I am looking for a 5mm wetsuit to be used for quarry diving and NC wreck diving. The average temperature I'd be in would be 67-75, for sometimes longer periods of time. Any recommendations? I was thinking of the Henderson Thermoprene but have been hearing mixed things. I've also heard good things about Pinnacle, but am not familiar with them (and don't have access to any in my LDS). I'd prefer one with some give to it, since a small tends to have a little bit of air gap and an extra small is obviously a little tight. I have also read that, while though it is a comfortable suit, the Henderson H2 doesn't hold up too well over time and compresses quickly.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

I love my Henderson Thermoprene 5mm. It's my basic wetsuit for all diving. April in the keys doing 4 dives a day, it keep you nice and warm for the whole day. June in our local mudpit add a 3mm vest with a 5mm attached hood and I can keep up with the dry suiters for a couple dives. I also have a 2mm full that I use under it with the vest when it's a bit cooler or we're going deeper in the pit. It layers easily and price wise I haven't found it's equal (check Scuba Toys they were selling an older model of it for a great price, don't know what sizes they have if any at this point).

Only downside I've found is it is a little bouyant at the surface and compresses a lot, so it takes a couple extra pounds of lead to get off the surface and hold a safety stop for me.

The Waterproof Lynx is far and away the best 5mm wetsuit for your money! The paneling for the cut and fit are as close to tailored as you can find and the seals make it so that nothing is moving in or out of this suit. The neoprene that they use is the nicest, warmest, and most comfortable I have ever seen! The comfort in the joint areas is superb. and strtegically placed zippers ake this the best 5mm out there. You would be doing yourself an injustice with anything else.

I use a Gul profile 5/4/3 simply because it fits perfect
The suit is glued and blindstitched and has got glued seams.
The positive is that costs half of a waterproof which by the way I think is extremely over rated
The negative is that it does compress at depth because of the super stretch material
The only alternative that I would consider is an O'Neill
sector which if it is as good as the previous model
has the advantages of my current GUL and seems not to
loose any warmth at depth

At the end fit is the most important feature of
a wetsuit. So even if you spend top money and have the best materials all goes in the bin if water
flushes in...
Posted via Mobile Device

I have a 7mm Thermoprene. Last week I did a body search in 68 degree F. water for 2 1/2 hours straight and was toasty warm. My buddy was cold in his 5mm after 2 hours. Comfort of course is very personal. I go towards the thicker side as you can always unzip a little and flush water to cool off, or remove your hood. If you remove your hood with out surfacing you should practice that skill in shallow water till you are flawless at it. Do it with a buddy near buy or just surface.

Fit and comfort are not the same
if your suit fits snug it will be warmer are water will not circulate much
however it could be hard to get into therefore not comfortable

wetsuit are based on the principle of keeping you warm because of the heat retention of the water between your body and the suit

if you have a wetsuit that is very nice to get into but water flushes inside the zip or the seals the experience is definitely unpleasant no matter how thick or supercompressed the neoprene is you will get cold

So priority is fit for me and then if I have two suits with the same fit I would of course go for the one with better material
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree 100% with Interceptor121.... Fit is most important. All my suits are custom made because I believe that no one can fit perfectly into a suit off the rack. Material is next most important because you don't want a suit that compresses at depth. The nitrogen neoprene suits don't compresses so you have a warmer suit. A lot of the time people have to wear a thicker suit than necessary because they get cold at depth....heck there are even people wearing 7 mm suits in Florida because their suits are compressing so thin they can't stay warm. I strongly recommend Wetwear.com they will give you the fit and better material in one. Even if you don't buy one of their suits you should call them and get a wetsuit education..... They can tell you almost anything you want to know about a wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom