Best 2" webbing waist mountable knife for cutting webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just did some testing on some tow rope webbing i have, similar to diving webbing but a little thicker.

The trilobite was crap, until the webbing was pulled tight and i pulled very hard on it, not ideal if i was in a panic situation.
When it did finally bite into it though it sliced through it very quickly.

Next was the blunt nosed aqualung squeeze knife i have, the line cutter on it failed to do anything, but the serrated edge cut into it without it having to be particularly tight and with a sawing motion managed to cut through it rather quickly.

I think i'm going to look for something with a serrated edge thats easy to grab onto. The spyderco salt 2 wharncliff looks great and got rave reviews from scubalab, but doesen't appear to have any sheath/come with any sheath so i'll have to investigate what to do about that, and maybe a trilobite in a flex mount on the shoulder.

Just did some testing on some tow rope webbing i have, similar to diving webbing but a little thicker.

The trilobite was crap, until the webbing was pulled tight and i pulled very hard on it, not ideal if i was in a panic situation.
When it did finally bite into it though it sliced through it very quickly.

Next was the blunt nosed aqualung squeeze knife i have, the line cutter on it failed to do anything, but the serrated edge cut into it without it having to be particularly tight and with a sawing motion managed to cut through it rather quickly.

I think i'm going to look for something with a serrated edge thats easy to grab onto. The spyderco salt 2 wharncliff looks great and got rave reviews from scubalab, but doesen't appear to have any sheath/come with any sheath so i'll have to investigate what to do about that, and maybe a trilobite in a flex mount on the shoulder.
I guess too it depends on the situation you are in when you envision needing to cut webbing. If to cut a diver out of his/her gear then a knife style blade is not what you want. Especially if you envision some degree of “panic.”

Those trilobite cutters work extremely well for belts. You need two hands, on to pull on the strap and the other to work the tool. A very sharp knife is definitely more versatile but if you want something to cut belt (and that does not present a safety hazard of its own), I would pick the trilobite.

I guess too it depends on the situation you are in when you envision needing to cut webbing. If to cut a diver out of his/her gear then a knife style blade is not what you want. Especially if you envision some degree of “panic.”
What do you recommend?

I want to be able to cut myself out my own harness, should i ever need to. With something that would be easy to grab with dry gloves on, and would cut through the webbing in one quick swipe - in a panic situation.

Narrowed down my choices to either a genuine trilobite, or a diverite Z line cutter with big handle, so can be grabbed even with big gloves, although its to go on my waist harness so im not sure if i want something so big and bulky there.

May just get both and do a cutting test and dive test with each to see what my preference is

What do you recommend?

I want to be able to cut myself out my own harness, should i ever need to. With something that would be easy to grab with dry gloves on, and would cut through the webbing in one quick swipe - in a panic situation.
I admit to having trouble thinking of a scenario where I would need to cut myself out of a harness but that’s neither here nor there.

My recommendation is the same as others, the tribolite is the most likely to meet your needs. If you are in your harness the webbing will be taut to aid cutting and panic will serve to strengthen your cut.

Edit. Dry gloves in Cozumel?

It's paranoia from my part, having only recently switched to a BP/Wing, Iv'e gone from using a weight belt to having my own custom setup that's bolted all my weights onto the back plate, thus making them non-ditch able.

I had 12-18 months out of the water without diving once due to coronavirus and it was during this time i made my new setup, so i want to be sure i could get out of it, if i needed to.

For example if i jumped into the water and for some reason forgot to turn my air on, then was sinking and unable to inflate my BC.

Of course i check my gear and if that scenario has happened, then already a lot has gone wrong. I'm just being extra cautious and trying to think of every possible scenario.

A genuine EEZYCUT Trilobite will cut through any webbing you will come across with ease.

I keep one for general shop tasks, and it zips through 2" webbing, leather, string, with almost 0 effort.

It's paranoia from my part, having only recently switched to a BP/Wing, Iv'e gone from using a weight belt to having my own custom setup that's bolted all my weights onto the back plate, thus making them non-ditchable.

I had 12-18 months out of the water without diving once due to coronavirus and it was during this time i made my new setup, so i want to be sure i could get out of it, if i needed to.

For example if i jumped into the water and for some reason forgot to turn my air on, then was sinking and unable to inflate my BC.

Of course i check my gear and if that scenario has happened, then already a lot has gone wrong. I'm just being extra cautious and trying to think of every possible scenario.
Paranoia I can certainly understand. And given this is SB you may want to delete that last post cause likely several will jump in how you should either be able to swim up your rig or be able to reach a valve to open it if closed, not to mention the wisdom of no ditchable weight.

As to your concern, I assume you have used a DIR style harness for your backplate? Even so you should be able to ditch the rig simply by releasing the waist buckle.

FWIW I put a quick release on my harness to ease donning and doffing because of shoulder issues. Then changed the harness completely with added T sliders and will never go back.

Paranoia I can certainly understand. And given this is SB you may want to delete that last post cause likely several will jump in how you should either be able to swim up your rig or be able to reach a valve to open it if closed, not to mention the wisdom of no ditchable weight.

As to your concern, I assume you have used a DIR style harness for your backplate? Even so you should be able to ditch the rig simply by releasing the waist buckle.

FWIW I put a quick release on my harness to ease donning and doffing because of shoulder issues. Then changed the harness completely with added T sliders and will never go back.
This is going to be the best solution 99.999999999% of the time. It pretty much takes the same effort to release the buckle and ditch the rig the it does to access a knife and position it so you don’t cut yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom