Securing knife to lower leg or boot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No idea on the specific requirements of the team; however, if you are required to carry a knife on a lower extremity, it is what it is. With that said, wear the knife on the inside of the leg to reduce the possibility of catching on anything. Also, if not wearing spring straps, invert your fins straps so they run from the outside in, this also helps reduce the chance of entanglement.

To cover the requirement, I would glue a small, neoprene pouch on the lower leg section that was just big enough to secure your knife. As noted, the lower leg is not the best option for carrying a cutting device so it might be more of a place it and forget it type of option. Keep your primary located just off-center of your center strap on the right side of the buckle (BP/W) and you should have easy access with one or both hands should you have an issue. I always carry shears in a pocket just in case that I can reach with either hand.

Cutting devices attached to a BC or tied into hoses may present an issue when attempting to put the cutting device away in an area you can’t easily see. I have seen a few cut hoses and cut BC’s over the years from folks trying to jam a cutting tool back in a sheath. Anyway, keep it minimal on the lower leg with the notion that it is only a last resort. Working in a group is not as critical but if you are doing solo work, plan accordingly.

This is my favorite leg sheath by Rob Allen. No buckles to faff with or snag line. This is Spyderco Atlantic, inserted with blade open. I could have inserted it further, but use the sheath for the AL Argonaut Knife.
1685142439191.jpeg

Best part, only costs $24.24 (includes shipping) from House of Scuba. Note: Size Large is for leg (medium for arm). 🗡️

This is my favorite leg sheath by Rob Allen. No buckles to faff with. This is Spyderco Atlantic, inserted with blade open.
View attachment 785179
Best part, only costs $24.24 (includes shipping) from House of Scuba. Note: Size Large is for leg (medium for arm). 🗡️

PERFECT TY!

No idea on the specific requirements of the team; however, if you are required to carry a knife on a lower extremity, it is what it is. With that said, wear the knife on the inside of the leg to reduce the possibility of catching on anything. Also, if not wearing spring straps, invert your fins straps so they run from the outside in, this also helps reduce the chance of entanglement.

To cover the requirement, I would glue a small, neoprene pouch on the lower leg section that was just big enough to secure your knife. As noted, the lower leg is not the best option for carrying a cutting device so it might be more of a place it and forget it type of option. Keep your primary located just off-center of your center strap on the right side of the buckle (BP/W) and you should have easy access with one or both hands should you have an issue. I always carry shears in a pocket just in case that I can reach with either hand.

Cutting devices attached to a BC or tied into hoses may present an issue when attempting to put the cutting device away in an area you can’t easily see. I have seen a few cut hoses and cut BC’s over the years from folks trying to jam a cutting tool back in a sheath. Anyway, keep it minimal on the lower leg with the notion that it is only a last resort. Working in a group is not as critical but if you are doing solo work, plan accordingly.

I'm gonna ask the semi local dive shop that does repairs if the can put on on my suit. TY

... if you are required to carry a knife on a lower extremity, it is what it is. With that said, wear the knife on the inside of the leg to reduce the possibility of catching on anything. Also, if not wearing spring straps, invert your fins straps so they run from the outside in, this also helps reduce the chance of entanglement. ...
Inside, opposite your strong hand. I am left-handed. So, when I wear a knife on my calf, I wear it on the inside of my right calf. Another reason the knife is worn inside is so it won't snag your weight belt if you (or your rescuer) should ditch your weight belt.

If you invert/reverse your fin straps, you might tape ends, too.

rx7diver

I'm right handed and wear a BFK on my inside left calf when diving dry here in the PAC NW. Always have and always will. It's a trusty old Aqualung and has never rusted. I change out the straps every couple of years. I don't bring it on tropical trips. For here, it's great for dispatching large Lingcod and prying rock scallops. :)

Our team stays away from knives on the legs. Inside or out they can be entanglement hazards. Our BPW are set up with a small blunt tip knife on the right waist belt and a set of shears in a sheath on the left waist belt along with a trilobite on the right shoulder. We also tape the fin straps to avoid entanglements.

The BFK is off the inside opposite lower leg at the moment and it's on the plate waist belt opposite side

KelpforestI2500ppx.jpg

Pulling through far too much of this stuff at the moment especially the bubbly stuff with all the grape things

1685781053573.png

Fin straps always buckled tabs out untaped
I love slipping my foot in, then pulling tabs to adjust for comfort depending on what the ocean is doing

If it is really required, ok, inside the left leg (as you ar right-handed), as DAJ said.

Could depend on where and in what conditions you dive, but in Europe we prefer easy-cut or scissor-knife easy to grip, so on the arms or chest for most of divers...

Inside, opposite your strong hand. I am left-handed. So, when I wear a knife on my calf, I wear it on the inside of my right calf.
The inside-the-leg rule is one that I learned diving in CA kelp forests, but the opposite-side rule puzzles me. What's your reasoning?

If I reach down to grab an interior-calf-mounted knife, grabbing the hilt requires me to cock my wrist backward and rotate my wrist 90 degrees, and drawing the knife drives my elbow into my stomach. A same-side reach, however, leaves my wrist flat and unrotated, and my elbow pointed outward.

Going cross-body requires contortions. Going same-side doesn't. The latter seems far more natural and efficient.

Back
Top Bottom