Best 2" webbing waist mountable knife for cutting webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daniel M. Thomas

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi guys

I already have a small DIRZONE knife that is on my waist harness but im looking for another that has the characteristics i have listed below.. i tried an eezycut trilobite and to my dismay it was unable to easy slice through my 2" webbing. I want a knife that i can rely on to cut me out of my DIR style harness, should i ever need to. As im a relatively in experienced diver using a BP/W system with non ditch-able weights. Note: I have a thicker type of webbing, unlike the softer halcyon type. I plan to change it sometime in the future so it doesen't wear through my drysuit so quickly.

So far iv'e found no reviews online where the knifes are tested on 2" webbing, if no one can find one then i will be carrying out some tested myself and posting the results here.. the knife must be

1. Quickly deployed
2. Easy to grip handle (better than the DIRZONE one)
3. Slice through my 2" webbing in a single cut with ease
4. Not too bulky

...//... 3. Slice through my 2" webbing in a single cut with ease ...//...

Whatever you choose, tension the webbing properly and it will be MUCH easier to cut. Imagine a length of webbing lying flat on some surface. Keeping it flat on the surface, attempt to bend it into a circle.

You will find the webbing very hard to cut if you attempt to begin the cut from the inside of the circle towards the outside. Cutting from the outside towards the inside will be very easy with a 'zip' cutter, etc. Something you just have to try once to get the feel of it...

Hi guys

I already have a small DIRZONE knife that is on my waist harness but im looking for another that has the characteristics i have listed below.. i tried an eezycut trilobite and to my dismay it was unable to easy slice through my 2" webbing. I want a knife that i can rely on to cut me out of my DIR style harness, should i ever need to. As im a relatively in experienced diver using a BP/W system with non ditch-able weights. Note: I have a thicker type of webbing, unlike the softer halcyon type. I plan to change it sometime in the future so it doesen't wear through my drysuit so quickly.

So far iv'e found no reviews online where the knifes are tested on 2" webbing, if no one can find one then i will be carrying out some tested myself and posting the results here.. the knife must be

1. Quickly deployed
2. Easy to grip handle (better than the DIRZONE one)
3. Slice through my 2" webbing in a single cut with ease
4. Not too bulky
I’ve sliced through Halcyon webbing with the trilobite like butter. Your webbing is suspect. That said there’s very little trauma shears wont cut through, they don’t call them penny-cutters for nothing (although they will cut through harder coins as well until the rivet pin explodes).

I’ve sliced through Halcyon webbing with the trilobite like butter. Your webbing is suspect. That said there’s very little trauma shears wont cut through, they don’t call them penny-cutters for nothing (although they will cut through harder coins as well until the rivet pin explodes).
I think its because i have a stiffer type of webbing that its so hard to cut, i assume the more flexible halcyon webbing would be much easier to cut

Our team requires 3 cutting devices. I carry a razor sharp 3 inch dive knife, trauma shears, and a trilobite knife. The trilobite is the go to. Holy crap, they used to be $6.95 or so with a sheath....

https://www.amazon.com/EEZYCUT-Trilobite-Webbing-Line-Knife/dp/B00R8PO3CQ

I have a stainless J knife too but I don't carry it. It's heavy and the trilobite is so sharp, it will go though almost anything.

Trauma shears- buy several. The titanium coated ones still rust, but stay sharp enough to do the job.

DGX Titanium EMT Shears

The only time the knife has come out of my SHTF pouch is to cut fruit on a dive boat.

Good luck, please drink a Bohemi Obscura (or 10) for me and have the Lionfish Marsala at New Especias. Wish I was there....

Jay

Another thing i didn't mention, that i have just thought of... The 'trilobite' i have, was a 10 bucks ebay chinese special. Not a genuine unit.

It's definitely very sharp though, maybe i should try a genuine one?

Trauma shears

I carry a BFK, trilobite, and shears all the time, and have a small sharp knife on my usual rig. I would be hesitant to cut on my rig with a sharp knife whilst wearing a drysuit, no sense taking a chance making your problem worse.

Reactions: OTF
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom