Best 1st stage 2nd stage combo for ice diving.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vin

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Guys-
I have been looking for a set up for years now. I ignor it untill the snow falls and I am below the ice with a free flow. Looking for ideas.

Best case - a solid 1st + 2nd stage combo that breaths easy in all positions. in water temps from 30 - 50 degreez.

Vin

the criterion you mentioned can come in a variety of brand names and prices. I think that the best bang for your buck will be the ever famed Apeks. I can attest to having dove my DS4-ATX50 combo within your specified temperature range and beyond. Great reg, no problems, excellent warranty.

I think that you will hear others second my opinion, but beware the "buy what I have because its the best" statements that are sure to come.

Other comparable names that you might consider are Zeagle (environmentally sealed models), Aqualung, or even the sherwood blizzard if you are on a budget. Don't forget this is life support equipment though.

My recommendation for a cold water reg is the MK 17 with either the X650 or G250 seconds stage. The Mk 17 is fully sealed and is an excellent performer.

DA,

What about the Mk18?

Well my Great lakes unit is a =
Sherwood Blizzard,She works hard and breathes nice,=even at 165'fsw and Aqualung Glacia on octo set high crack for no leaks.
some folks rap them must be cause they dont cost BIG $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Guess its a diver thing I spent big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$,
yes it works but,,,,,
with the extra cash I saved I can put fuel in my dive boat and search for some more wrecks!
Brad

Both the Mk 16 and 18 are reliable in cold water, but the Mk 17 is fully sealed and has survived some really insane cold water tests that other "cold water" regs like the Legend LX Supreme failed.

After I perceived that my Mk25 threw some minute ice chips into my mouth last winter I moved into the Xstream and put my Mk25 on my other post. Not sure if this was my imagination or what. Many folks swear by the Mk25. I actually like my Mk52's breathing, its really comfortable. Of course I paid alot more and service is more expensive. But I'm happy with it.

P.S. Just my opinions based on my own experiences.

Not sure what you had for a second stage on your Mk 25. I have experienced the ice chip thing with the S600 and X650. I noted with the X650 that the problem went away when I removed that rubber trim boot from the second stage end of the hose. The exposed hose end fitting allows a little better heat transfer. In a very cold water situation, I remove any hose protectors on the reg end as well as it again improves heat transfer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom